What You've Just Bought!

Re: The What You've just Bought thread!

I also just bought Quickoffice Pro from the Android Market. It's by far the best .pdf viewer I have tried and it can also create, view, and edit Word, Excel, and PowerPoint files.
Thanks, I've been looking for something like that.

Edit: Sorry about the double-post, please merge, modmin :)

I'll agree it's not perfect but there really isn't anything better out there with regards to hardware+software. Windows Phone 7 has the potential to get there but I think it still needs some work before it can match Android on features. Microsoft also needs to be a little more proactive on hardware, the only SoC they are supporting so far is the Qualcomm Snapdragon 8250 which launched way back in 2009.

To be honest, I haven't played with windows mobile for years even then it was only on a phone I had given to me as the guy was going to toss it out the window if he had to send a text on it again (not the most savvy user) but I think that my next phone will not be a droid as I have had noting but issues with it. I am looking at either blackberry (again) or possibly the iPhone.

I played around with the samsung Omnia today and the galaxy S I still want to get the S2 but was surprised by how good windows mobile OS was. Nice visuals and quite smooth and logical menu layouts was a few bits that I thought could be frustrating down the line but in general it was much better then the stereotype depicts.

To be honest, I haven't played with windows mobile for years even then it was only on a phone I had given to me as the guy was going to toss it out the window if he had to send a text on it again (not the most savvy user) but I think that my next phone will not be a droid as I have had noting but issues with it. I am looking at either blackberry (again) or possibly the iPhone.

Windows Mobile 6.5 was garbage. WP7 is like using Win7 to WinME. It is much better than it previously was. While Puddle is right that somethings need to be changed to make it better, i can tell you from experience that if your really looking for a work phone the Blackberry will be the way to go. My sister has an iPhone and tries to use it as a PC replacement on the go and it is an utter failure. I have had to guide her to reset it, as well as how to get her lost emails back so many times now it isnt funny. Luckily i have it setup so that the server doesnt delete them.

I use my Android device for just about everything. I get emails, do documents on it and even have Evernote and Dropbox installed on it to quickly share with my PC. With the addition of Chrome to Phone i can share links with just the push of a button now. So really maybe it isnt the software but the device your using?

I played around with the samsung Omnia today and the galaxy S I still want to get the S2 but was surprised by how good windows mobile OS was. Nice visuals and quite smooth and logical menu layouts was a few bits that I thought could be frustrating down the line but in general it was much better then the stereotype depicts.
How easy is it to get such gadgets out where you are?

The Omnia is a total piece of crap. Even modified to be faster and smoother it's still crap. The screen is to small to accurately text at a fast pace and there isn't much you can do on it besides some stupid stuff.

bought some clothes so I have room for future expansion for baby... LOL. I got some nice comfy track pants... they were marked at 42 and I got them for 7.60!!!!! **** yeah!

Windows Mobile 6.5 was garbage. WP7 is like using Win7 to WinME. It is much better than it previously was. While Puddle is right that somethings need to be changed to make it better, i can tell you from experience that if your really looking for a work phone the Blackberry will be the way to go. My sister has an iPhone and tries to use it as a PC replacement on the go and it is an utter failure. I have had to guide her to reset it, as well as how to get her lost emails back so many times now it isnt funny. Luckily i have it setup so that the server doesnt delete them.

I use my Android device for just about everything. I get emails, do documents on it and even have Evernote and Dropbox installed on it to quickly share with my PC. With the addition of Chrome to Phone i can share links with just the push of a button now.
So really maybe it isnt the software but the device your using?

Not disputing the fact that a blackberry is probably a better work phone (though i've never touched one), but what is so bad about iPhone's email ? theres not a lot to go wrong. I'm not a heavy email user but probably send and receive 10 emails a day with no problem at all.

This isn't really anything to do with it but just for the record Evernote and DropBox are on iOS aswell. I wouldn't want any people casually browsing tech forums to think iOS is inferior in the apps department ;)

I am surprised people like Window Phone 7 too. I know iOS interface is hardly great but WP7's is even worse, it's not the sophisticated and powerful kind of operating system i would expect from Microsoft.

My sister gets all of her email from her ISP on her phone. That is literally hundreds per day. Including junk mail. You are getting less than 10% than what she does so you cant compare.

She is also a Girl Scout Troup Leader, Accountant (Certified Public Accountant), and a Mother whose husband works 2 hours out of town. So Email is a big part of her phone usage. Considering that it doesnt work well with her ISP Email that doesnt help. Since she has been using that email for over 10 years now, it would be hard for her to just up and switch to GMail, Yahoo, Live, Hotmail or any other service. Forwarding the email doesnt solve the issue either. It just is a work around which my sister doesnt want. She doesnt feel the need to create another email address to work with her device when her device can be changed to work with her email. It is far easier to replace her iPhone than it is for her to notify 10 years of contacts that she has a new email address.

So she has to co-ordinate all of the Girl Scout stuff, work stuff and communication with her husband via this device which doesnt like Road Runner. Not an easy task. Out of fun i loaded up my included mail client on my Atrix and i have been sending and receiving at least 30 emails a day with the same ISP Email account. She has trouble getting her iPhone to send out 5 emails. Sorry but defend the iPhone all you want, it isnt a work device like it needs to be for some people. My sister is one of those people. She just doesnt realize it yet.

I never said a single thing about Evernote or Dropbox not being on iOS. You are the one who wants to defend the device. I am making comments to Saxon. Not a single mention about the iOS App Store at all. I was showing how i use my device for my personal use. My mention of the iPhone was to show an example of how the device doesnt work for those that basically need a PC replacement on the go.

If the iPhone is not a good device for my sister who is a VERY VERY VERY VERY light user compared to most of us, there is no way in the world that it would be good for Saxon. I have talked with him in person on the phone, i know his habits a bit more than most. No way he could use that device. He would have it literally embedded into a brick wall before the first hour is up. If he is upset with his Android phone, he would smash the iPhone. I can vouch for that and would bet on it. I have used both devices now for a period of time. I am a light user compared to Saxon and I know i couldnt use the iPhone. He wouldnt be able to either.

I have used WP7, it isnt that bad. The hardware holds it back more than the software. It is like trying to run Vista on a machine built of Win95.

Back
Top Bottom