Potentially the longest thread in history...

aye, yes, yeah, yeh, yea and affirmative are all in the oxford dictionary.

edit: oh, and nice speed overlord :grin: now you can switch from pictures to movies. you know what I'm talking 'bout :p

Quiz question #1. What do the following words have in common:
yes yeah yep yea yup affirmative aye

yea but most of those are slang...then the fact that they are different in other language due to the gender/tense/etc...not just synonyms.

Like you use yes , yeah, yep in the same place. In spanish, etc you use the different forms in special spots. That's what I'm talking about. I know all language has synonyms lol..but others you HAVE to use the other form in order to sound right.

It's like only being able to say "yes" with certain words while only being able to use "aye" with certain others....

yea but most of those are slang...then the fact that they are different in other language due to the gender/tense/etc...not just synonyms.

Like you use yes , yeah, yep in the same place. In spanish, etc you use the different forms in special spots. That's what I'm talking about. I know all language has synonyms lol..but others you HAVE to use the other form in order to sound right.

It's like only being able to say "yes" with certain words while only being able to use "aye" with certain others....

Funny...in Spanish it's just Si.

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove in court!

edit: oh, anyone who can name the movie from the quote without googling wins.

English is the hardest language to learn. After that it is just practice. :D

I am familiar with Spanish and am getting used to Russian as I help teach an "English as a Second Language" class that is targeting Slavics. We've had Ukrainians, Albanians, Iranians, Hispanics, and a couple of others countries that I have no idea how to spell (parts of the former Soviet Union). It's different, that's for sure.

Back
Top Bottom