Potentially the longest thread in history...

but man, those cards have some overclocking head room. If I find a used xfx one, that I can low ball somebody on craigslist I will do that (just like I did with my 4870. O dell home has a 5850 for 252 right now (thanks slickdeals)

Not sure if the 5850's have it, but I know the 5870's do. Some of the manufacturers put restrictions on how high the clocks can go in the BIOS (including XFX, which I have). Right now the core clock can only have a max of 900Mhz. You can get higher but you have to flash your BIOS to either MSI or Asus. Not sure if I'm going to do that yet.

I'm sure if the 5870 have it the 5850's will have it or something like it.
But thats kinda of cheap....I wouldn't expect that from XFX.

I just got a WD Caviar black 1tb at best buy for $99 a few mins ago... I think that was an alright deal. I just had to tell them it was $99 on the website since they wanted $129 in store.

Yeah, I think it's kind of stupid. It doesn't let people set stupidly high clocks and kill their card then go back to the company complaining, but the people that want to OC high (being smart about it) should still be able to without voiding the warranty. I found a pretty good guide here though: HD 5870 BIOS Flashing | Overclockers I might do it eventually, I don't know.

yeah, I have hit a voltage wall with my 8800gs, as my thermal temps don't really go above 62c. But screw it, I got this 4870 1gb waiting to be thrown in my system. I think I am hitting a memory wall with my 8800gs, so the frequency I get with it will be pointless.

The reason I bought the 4850 was because of what gurusan showed me. They can take a little voltage and reach 4870 speeds with very little effort and with only a pencil mod.

Now these 5850's and 5870's have software voltage control... so awesome. I think I'll hold off till my birthday or maybe sooner if I see a price drop from fermi release. I'm eyeing the 5850 for being so close in performance to the 5870.

ya the vanilla 4850's were great cards. i had mine pencil modded and was in the upper 800's with only like 1.3v.

too bad it died... i think i could have easily gotten 1ghz out of it...

yeah, I mean I got that 4870 for 100 dollars, so hey no complaints there. Is there any games out yet that really show directx 11? Cause from what tomshardware was saying and what I saw in the vids, dirt 2 didn't show much. I am interested as to see what is done with it. I will prob sell the 4870 when nvidia rolls out its cards. I also might be into doing a pencil mod with my 4870, what are your thoughts man?

depends on your card. is it reference or non-reference?

i dont think anyone ever found a pencil mod for vgpu on the reference cards. the only one i have seen for vgpu involves soldering variable resistors on the card... which is hard... trust me ive tried it. thats why my 4850 is dead lol

Back
Top Bottom