Windows 7 FAQ and Questions

Re: Windows 7 Thread and FAQ

Opps. Sorry i was a bit off on my time frame. I was thinking the Beta month with the RC Year.

It seems that some sources that have contacts inside Microsoft are now confirming that Windows 7 will RTM on the 13th with it appearing for download to MSDN and TechNET users shortly there after.

This is the same day that Microsoft will have the WPC09 (Worldwide Partner Conference) which will take place in New Orleans.

It would not surprise me if they did choose the RTM build and have it up for download that day. As Windows Vista RTM had the same kind of path itself. It was chosen and announced at a Conference much like this one just a couple short years ago. It was at that time that the Official Testers, MSDN, TechNEt and TAP got their hands on the final build.

While this seems odd that they are choosing a RTM Build and releasing it to select groups while not offering it to the General Population this is the common path they follow. Even Vista itself was released to businesses 2 months before it went out to the general population.

This allows those involved to get the build, install it, test it, report any major bugs so that a fix can be provided along with allowing those involved to get some first hand experience with the OS itself before it hits the general population so that when questions are asked there can be a answer for them and we are not trying to get answers to questions in which no one could know the answer to.

Stay tuned as this will happen in less than a week and i will personally report back if and when i know more information.

According to several sources the Win7 RTM Build has been decided.

7.7600.16384.090710-1945 is the potential final build number and we're still expecting the company to announce the finalisation of Windows 7 at the annual Worldwide Partner Conference on Monday providing there are no last minute recompiles.

This comes from Wzor via Neowin.net. Many are saying that this announcement will be done tomorrow at the Conference they are having. At this point there is no confirmation by Microsoft. Shocking i know. But the only thing to do is wait, as it is less than 24 hours away.

To further confuse things it is now known that 2 things are happening which could result in a third action.

1. There is a major announcement about Office 2010 today
2. Steve Balmer is not expected to speak today. He is scheduled to speak Tommorow morning.

With this new information it is highly believed that there will be NO announcement of Win7 RTM today. Since the new Pres. of the company is not speaking it is very unlikely to see a announcement about the new flag ship OS.

This is important enough for a new post. So dont tell me about it being a double post i know. :p

Windows 7 Blog is the source of this information and it contains much more than i have posted here. Read that for more information.

RTM Build is not picked yet at all. While they may choose the 7600 line it is not complete. Direct from Microsoft:

We are close, but have not yet signed off on Windows 7. When we RTM you will most certainly hear it here. As we've said all along, we will RTM Windows 7 when it's ready. As previously stated, we expect Windows 7 to RTM in the 2nd half of July.

Windows 7 will be available in many languages from around the world. For us to consider RTM “done”, it requires that all languages be completely finished. So there is a lot of work that needs to take place for us to finalize all languages of Windows 7.

Even better there is a specific reference made about the "leaked" build.

Just because a single build may have “leaked” it does not signal the completion of a milestone such as RTM. As always, don't believe everything that you read on the Internet - except this post ;-).

So it looks like Win7 might not even hit RTM this WEEK. They keep pushing that 2nd half of July. So you are looking at least another week of waiting for the final build number to hit.

It also states:

Once Windows 7 is complete, how do I get it?

The answer depends on who you are:

MSDN & TechNet Subscribers: Subscribers will be able to download the final version of Windows 7 a few weeks after we announce RTM.
Volume License (VL) Customers: As announced today by Bill Veghte during his WPC09 keynote, Windows 7 will be available to Volume License customers on September 1st.
Consumers, Enthusiasts, & Beta Testers (Everyone else): The retail version of Windows 7 will be available in stores October 22nd. If you pre-ordered Windows 7, it should be delivered sometime around the October 22nd timeframe (depends on the retailer). You can pre-order Windows 7 today through many online retailers like the Microsoft Store.
On New PCs: OEMs are expected to start shipping new PCs with Windows 7 pre-installed on them around October 22nd.

So there you have it folks. Direct from the horses mouth this time. Not something that has spread like wild fire on the interwebz.

Are you running it in Compatibility Mode? I know that isnt made to work by default in Win7 so you will have to take steps to force it to run properly.

Right click on the executable. Select Properties. There click on the Compatibility Tab. Check the box ot use it in a different OS Mode. There select either XP or Vista with a SP of your choice. Check the box for Run as Admin and then click okay and then execute the program.

Could also just right click and Troubleshoot Compatibility as well.

Back
Top Bottom