Windows 7 FAQ and Questions

Re: Windows 7 Fact Thread

Have you read teh WHOLE thread or just this last page? Cause i fully explain all of that in the thread.

WinFS will not be seen.
This is a PRE-BETA. There is still a LOT to be done.

Have you read teh WHOLE thread or just this last page? Cause i fully explain all of that in the thread.

WinFS will not be seen.

You've been using it a lot right?

Did you see any major issues from normal use?

I use it as my main OS. No nothing different. there are some apps that dont work as of now. But that is to be expected with a Beta.

WinFS will not be seen.

i didnt ask if its in the beta or not. i said
anymore word on Winfs or is the plan still for NTFS?

let me rephrase. Does MS plan on using WINFS in W7 or is the plan for NTFS .....or did they not say at all.
better?

If you had read teh article i posted:

http://www.techist.com/forums/f37/windows-7-milestone-3-build-6801-review-189273/

And also in my post you quoted i answered you. Right about that line you seem to be stuck on.

WinFS will NOT be seen.

This was known way back when they took it out of Vista.

WinFS release called off

Was stated back in 06 that WinFS will not be seen till after the OS that follows Vista. Since Win7 follows Vista. That would mean it wont be seen till after this one.

Sorry if it sounds harsh. It isnt meant that way. But jsut googling about WinFS would have said this. Plus i did answer it as well.

NTFS is going to stay the FS for Windows. WinFS only runs on top of NTFS. So NTFS was never going anywhere.

Maybe Mak will know the answer....

I have two raptor harddrives which I would like to make into a RAID 0 configuration and install windows 7 prebeta on.

I already have XP 64 on a non-raid disc.

Given these facts, is it possible to dual boot if my RAID 0 is setup after my XP 64 install?

No. Since you are trying to setup the RAID after XP is already on a disc you will lose that install if you setup RAID now.

Sorry scratch that. Let me explain fully.

Yes it could work but ONLY if you set aside partitons on EACH drive of the same size and leave XP alone on its own partition not apart of the RAID.

That way you can setup the RAID with drives of the same size which is required and still have your XP Partition setup on non RAID.

IF you had to use teh drive space that XP is on and make the whole drive RAID then no. Since that area will be technically only 1/2 of teh actual drive and the parts that would be needed wouldnt be located on the other part of the RAID where they should be then XP wouldnt boot.

I hope that makes some sense.

No. Since you are trying to setup the RAID after XP is already on a disc you will lose that install if you setup RAID now.

Sorry scratch that. Let me explain fully.

Yes it could work but ONLY if you set aside partitons on EACH drive of the same size and leave XP alone on its own partition not apart of the RAID.

That way you can setup the RAID with drives of the same size which is required and still have your XP Partition setup on non RAID.

IF you had to use teh drive space that XP is on and make the whole drive RAID then no. Since that area will be technically only 1/2 of teh actual drive and the parts that would be needed wouldnt be located on the other part of the RAID where they should be then XP wouldnt boot.

I hope that makes some sense.

yeah it does kind of.
XP is already on a seagate 640gb Harddrive.

Want to install windows 7 on a RAID 0 array that I will be making with two raptors.

Will I keep the dual boot option if I setup the raid array and install windows 7?

I am translating what you said to be a 'yes'

If those drives are seperate from teh drive you have XP on then yes. It can ben done. Will just be tricky to get the boot loader working correctly.

If those drives are seperate from teh drive you have XP on then yes. It can ben done. Will just be tricky to get the boot loader working correctly.

yeah, thats what I'm a little afraid of.

I do have enough confidence in windows 7 as a stand alone OS though till I got it figured out.

Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom