Just bought B&W CM1's!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just watching CSI Miami, and there was the sound of something off to the side somewhere; Not very loud, but it was quite clear, and almost sounded like I actually was there.
I guess that's what they call good soundstage.

Soundstage is awesome when you have your speakers set up right, An equalateral triangle shape, between you and the two speakers - i can't remember the finer details of it.

Yeh if you get some good well recorded classical music, you can get a sense of left and right and even depth, occasionally behind you. If you listen to very expensive speakers its possible to get a sense of how high up the instrument is below or above the microphone - It's quite an amazing thing to hear.

Thats what people dont understand...you dont have to have 5.1 all the time....studio monitors properly placed in a triangle in front of you will allow you to hear all the sounds very well.

Id rather watch a movie with just my two speakers in front of me...the same triangle youre talking about and with them eye level of course. I also have mine on mopads and slightly angled down which makes it sound even better.

Proper Placement:

Where do you aim the speakers to give you the smoothest and most consistent sound, and how far apart do you place them to give you a good stereo image? The basic rule is to follow the layout of an equilateral triangle, which is a triangle with all three legs the same length. The distance between the two monitors should be roughly the same as the distance between one monitor and your nose in the listening position where you are leaning forward on the console armrest. The speaker axis should be aimed at the half-way point between your furthest forward and the furthest rearward listening positions. This is typically a range of about 24" (600mm). If you can, you also want to try to get your ears lined up with the vertical speaker axis (half way between the woofer and the normal listening position lined up in the best spot possible. If this would have you resting your chin on the console or desktop, you could tilt the monitor back slightly. This keeps your head in the sweet spot whether you're leaning forward adjusting level or EQ, or leaning back and listening to the mix. Don't go crazy trying to get this exact to three decimal places, within an inch or two gets you into the game. You will also want to keep your monitors upright and vertical even though you'll be tempted to place them on their side to give you a better line of sight behind them. With the monitor on its side, moving your head horizontally means that you are now moving through all those rays, or lobes, where the wavefront from the woofers and tweeters interfere with each other. The midrange frequency response will be different for each head position. It is our opinion that all two-way component monitors, no matter who manufactures them, need to be used with the multi-driver axis vertical (that's just the way it has to be when you're in the near-field).

I would like to raise mine up about 6 inches. What would be the best thing to do that with?

if you can find world's deepest bass by bass testers you should probably put those speakers to some good pumpin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom