Remote starting a computer ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stork DK

Beta member
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew if it where possible to turn on a computer via the internet (as in not pressing the power button on the case)

Say the comp was turned off but had power and a RJ45 plugged in which led to a router that were connected to some ISP.

If i then knew the IP of the router and the internal IP/MAC adress of the computer, could i then send a command via the cmd on my own computer and turn it on ?

Yeah, I know there is a command you can use via command prompt, it will pop up a 'remote shutdown' box. This will shut down any computer that's connected to your network connection, but, i think you need the computers name and some other information.

Wake on LAN option in the bios.

Agreed. Check to see if your motherboard supports Wake on Lan. I know mine doesn´t. Just google Wake on Lan. There are sites where you input your comp's info and it will send the message to wake your comp up.

Wake-On-LAN Online - Wake up your computer over Internet!

EDIT: You also need to set you comp up to recieve the packet in certian port(s) with port forwarding etc...

If the PC is shut down i do not think even wake from LAn will start it up. I think i twould haev to be in standby or hibernate to do such things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom