Windows XP OEM Motherboard Transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes but if you also remember i came around and apologized cause it turned out you were right. As i did hear from sources.

Here's the catch for XP OEM

"If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect then a new computer is created, and a new operating system license is required."

You just break your old motherboard and you just created a "defect".

I had no problems getting XP reactivated over the phone after I replaced an ASUS motherboard with a MSI motherboard.

Will they buy the story, "I don't know what was wrong with it but my computer just stopped working. I took it to the computer repair shop and they said my motherboard was broken."

Just say you had to reformat your hard drive and reinstall Windows. Boom, you're done.

ms has a million different eula's. I use to have one that said you could have a copy of xp on a desktop and and a laptop as a backup at the same time. these were on pre service pack eula's. if you have an xp 2600 you can swap mobo and stuff without any issue. sp1 and later made you have to do a repair.

a year or 2 ago to help promote vista, microsuck change their position and made a statement saying " you get a new board, you must buy a new os." they never enforce this stupid policy because everyone started suing ms because their eula said differently. so yes you can swap motherboards and still use xp. at the worst case you just have to call them and say I just update the motherboard for a faster one

as for vista I have my original oem copy on 5 different mobo's. I bought one board 2 years ago and it had issues. I exchanged it and load vista than forgot about vista. I also loaded it on my kid computer, then forgot about it again. I eventually deleted them and put my copy of vista on craiglist to sell . the guy who was going to buy it never came to pick it up

I then made a media server. I used that vista. but that board sucked. I took it back for another one. vista is on it now. I never had to call them to activate any of them

that said

azza_1992

just get a new harddrive for the amd or add the old one (It sound like you want more storage). then put the new component in the old computer and buy a hdd for that one if you put your old drive in the amd.

this way you only have to transfer one copy of xp and save yourself some work

OK, I bought my new parts for Computer 1, and successfully installed them into the computer. This is a big deal for me, its my first build/upgrade. I turned the computer on and it booted up XP. No need for a repair, everything started up as normal, albiet with the occasional screen flicker, video driver problem.

Upon logging in, it told me I had 3 days to activate Windows XP. Fearing the worst and rehearsing my story in my mind, I rang the Microsoft number. I thought I'd just try the normal phone activation thing (enter a 56 number code, they give you a 35 number code) and it worked right off the bat.

It really was outrageously simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom