Need A Good Live CD Distro

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would submit Knoppix.

Recently when needing to replace the old Knoppix, Gentoo, and Mephis disks I had for an older build since they could no longer be read I wasn't able to locate a download page for the more recent live for cd releases and simply downloaded the two latest releases for ubuntu. Knoppix is a fast and easy to learn simplified distro for those with little or no Linux experience.

For recoverying files from different partiion types seen on drives both Knoppix and unbuntu live work quite well for that. But for recoverying deleted files you need something like Active Undelete or another 3rd party data recovery program that will run on Linux. The AU program is Windows there.

Puppy is good for learning about linux and getting used to it but in my personal opinion i find Ubuntu to be easiest. Its just what i started with. Lots of help from the ubuntu forums if you need help just about every time you google a problem one of the first 3 links is from ubuntu forums.

I would go with Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon (7.10) for now because 8.04 just came out and you might run into problems and you may not be quite sure how to fix them because your new to it.

So I submit Ubuntu Gutsy (7.10)

Mak213 has a blog about how much more stable the latest 8.04 is over the 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon release. The latest has a new desktop icon parked right in the center for the Linux symbol while the previous releases simply see the plain gold desktop by default.

Puppy and Darnsmall(whatever) are older then Knoppix. Puppy was often advised for the Linux newbie being one of the smallest distros not requiring a swap partition.

The common advice now however is first trying a live for cd distro where that is self contained and no changes are made to any drive to see one of those run. You get to pick out your own "flavor of the month" so to speak before deciding which you will go with especially for a dual boot setup.

I got to stay informed somehow wouldn't you say?! :p

Now to start one on how to get satelite pcs online while the dsl router checks out ok by the ISP? The pcs connected simply see no network adapter? :confused: There's a good title for a new one! :D

I love knoppix, It has great features and a bunch of them right on the disc... It worked GREAT and if you haven't seen BB it's awesome, I had to watch it like 10 times... ASCII text movies fascinate me.

Another linux I like is Freespire, sometimes known as the XP of Linux or Linux XP. It has a decent live disc and can install to your harddrive in under 10 minutes and be ready to go... I like it cause it looks good, it was the ONLY one (Out of ubuntu knoppix etc..) that supported my old dialup modem... so yeah.. it's great.

~PHP

I wouldn't mind getting a newer release of the live cd version of Knoppix here. The problem is when locating any download page it will be the install from drive files not any iso image for a ilve cd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom