Computer setup problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

fryc86

In Runtime
I'm not sure if this is the appropriate forum for this or not. Move it if needed.

I just got my computer (Dell Inspiron 1721) and am trying to load it up. Right out of the box when I turn it on it gives me an error message.

Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer.

This error can be caused by unplugging a removable storage device such as an external USB drive while the device is in use, or by faulty hardware such as a hard drive or CD-ROM drive that is failing. Make sure any removable storage is properly connected and then restart your computer.

If you continue to receive this error message, contact the hardware manufacturer.

File: \Boot\BCD

Info: An unexpected I/O error has occurred.

I did notice that it doesn't seem to have one of the cords I was supposed to plug in. I plugged in the AC adaptor and the network connection from my internet connection. But it asks for a connection for the modem. I'm not sure what this is as all I need for my other computer is the internet connection cord. On the diagram it looks like a little cord with a green head, not sure if it's accurate or not. All I know is it looks like my internet connection cord but is smaller.

It does come with all the cds for reinstallation of Vista/drivers/everything. Do I need to reinstall it if I just got it? Would that work?

any ideas would be appreciated. This was a refurb, so did I just get a dud?

I decided to go ahead and put in the Vista install disk and do the re-install. After copying the Windows files then it starts the do the "expanding files" process and gets to 89%. When it gets that far it pulls up a window that says:

"Windows cannot access the installation sources. Verify that the installation sources are accessible, and restart the installation."

How do you do that and what does it mean?

Well now you basically have messed up the PC. You will have to restart the format but this time make sure you format the hard drive.

okay, is there any chance you could walk me through it or give me the correct directions how to do it? thanks

thanks, but nothing I'm trying from there is working either. Something is messed up and I don't know where to go from here.

okay so here are the issues.

1.) When I turn the computer on with no cd's it comes up with a black screen and says:

"a disk read error occurred
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart"

So I do that and then press F12 to go to the boot menu. no further progress same error message.

2.) I put in the Vista install cd/dvd. Same error message. Ctrl+Alt+Del again and this time press F12 to go to boot menu. I press enter to boot from CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive.

Press any key to boot... (pressed Enter)

Windows is loading files...

Install Windows. Language to install - English. Clicked Next.

Clicked Install Now.

Please wait...

Please read the license terms. Clicked I accept the license terms. Clicked next.

Which type of installation do you want? Clicked Custom it's the only one that is allowed.

Where do you want to Install Windows? Clicked Disk 0 Partition 3 Because Disk 0 partition 2 has total size of 10.0 GB but the recommended free space for installation says 11752 MB.

Clicked Next.

Copying Windows files...

error message: Windows Setup could not initialize the deployment engine. To install Windows, restart the installation.

Then it starts over.

3.) Did the same as above but when it went to the type of installation I wanted I clicked on options and formatted the drive(s). Now its full of free space but the same errors are produced.

4.) Tried to put in the Drivers and Utilities cd/dvd. Pressed F12 and booted from CD/DVD/CD-RW drive.

Press a key to boot (Enter)

Choice: press 1 to run the 32 Bit Dell Diagnostics. press Q to quit without any action (Return to DOS)

My choice: 1

Takes me to hardware diagnostics, test, etc.

nothing further.

Does this shed any light on what the problem is and what I might be able to do, or not? thanks.

You keep forgetting to format. When you select the drive a option highlights. It is Advanced. Click that. It will give you the option to format the drive.

Remember you need at LEAST 20GB of space to install Vista.

okay, so I click on Disk 0 Partition 3 with a total size of 136.5 GB and the same amount of free space. Doesn't that mean I formatted it correctly?

Disk 0 Partition 2 has a Total Size of 10.0 GB and 9.9 GB of free space. So I assume that it is partition 3 that I need to install on?

I click on Drive options (advanced)

There are options for Delete, Format, New, and Extend (though New and Extend are not clickable).

I click on Format. Message comes up saying: If you format this partition, all data stored on it will be permanently deleted.

click OK.

then I click Next.

And it goes to Installing Windows Screen and begins Copying Windows, but while still at 0% it comes up with a page that says "The installation was canceled. Any changes that were made to your computer during the installation process will not be saved. and an error message:

"Windows Setup could not reinitialize the deployment engine. To install Windows, restart the installation."

That's where I'm at with everything so far and for now I'm leaving it on this screen with this message still up. Not looking good I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom