Slow Internet question

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirCyber

Daemon Poster
I'm on a friends computer trying to find out why their internet was slow. first thing I did was download CPU-Z to be certain of system specs, found that there was two different speeds of ram, both of which were recognized. I took out the smaller stick. Cleaned out a ton of dust. plugged back in, helped a little. now, I have the SAME ISP, and my pages load about twice as fast. checked the cabling, and found that the CAT5 was being used for the wireless router *single laptop being used on that* and the USB being wired to the computer. I was told recently that utilizing both ports on the Motorola Surfboard would drastically reduce performance. Top that off I think the Ethernet port on the onboard is not working. *am checking the mobo after post* so they need to use the USB, but the wireless router does not have USB. Any help figuring out why this computer is slower at the net would be much appreciated!

****SYSTEM SPECS FOR THIS COMPUTER****
512MB PC3200 (200MHz) Supertalent Ram
Intel Celeron 340 2.933 (256 L2 Cache
PCChips M963GV mobo

********EDIT*******
Onboard Ethernet controller SiS 900 Fast Ethernet Adapter is disabled, code 22. should I just enable it?

Well you are right on all accounts. Using both is what the problem is. Try enabling the Ehternet port and see what happens.

Dust and ram would have nothing to do with NET speed, maybe page loading times and other loading, but the speed of the net should remain the same.

Go into the Virus/Spyware section and have him post a hijackthislog to see if its anything malware related.

Also try running CCleaner: Download CCleaner 2.04.543 - filehippo.com

Make sure everything is ticked so it cleans more.

Go start>run>msconfig>Startup tab> Disable everything but the anti - virus and anything else that you want running at startup (maybe like overlock tool or msn what ever)

Then try doing updates, maybe install Firefox and making sure nobody else is using the net (if its wireless).

Oh and also close any applications like torrents and other bandwidth using applications

EDIT: Also if you want to test his netspeed compaired to yours (to see if it is the internet being slow) go to: Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test

Run a speed test and compare the net speeds

EDIT: Also if you want to test his netspeed compaired to yours (to see if it is the internet being slow) go to: Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test

Run a speed test and compare the net speeds

That's what I was going to suggest. My internet was running really slow a while back (still kind of is...it's not back to its normal speed yet:rolleyes: ) and part of the problem was the upload speed. The roadrunner guys also did something in the command prompt and saw that we were losing packets or something. I'm not exactly sure. I believe they also installed some filter thing on the router/modem too. They said it was possible the line to the house was somehow damaged and that could be part of the problem too.

Old lines do slow down connection speeds, as will damaged lines. Been there, done that. My old house was ran off of some VERY old lines, and the connection definitely suffered from it.

Thank you all for the help. I enabled the ethernet adapter on the computer sunday, and I will be going back friday with an extra ethernet cable to set up the network the way it should be. (MODEM>WIRELESS ROUTER>PC)

That's what I was going to suggest. My internet was running really slow a while back (still kind of is...it's not back to its normal speed yet:rolleyes: ) and part of the problem was the upload speed. The roadrunner guys also did something in the command prompt and saw that we were losing packets or something. I'm not exactly sure. I believe they also installed some filter thing on the router/modem too. They said it was possible the line to the house was somehow damaged and that could be part of the problem too.

He installed an AC signal booster into your line. I had this issue too. but now everything is fine now. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom