Back up for Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
Does Mac OS 10.4 and 10.5 have any inbuilt back up program (Like Windoz have one). My father is after some sort of one button back up / restore solution where he can back up and restore from external hard drive.

And I really don't want to pay extra money for a LaCie Drive when I can put together an external drive myself.

I know that there is Time Machine. However for that to work, you need to have double the hard drive space to back things up to.
Eg. iMac as 320Gb Hard Drive Space, therefore I need a 750Gb Hard Drive to back up to.
However I do see the advantage in time machine as it back up all your files including OS. However my father is a little turned off on the idea of having to out lay that sort of money when at really there is less that 60Gb of files that he really need to back up.

The other problem is that my father still refuses to let go of his old G4 Notebook computer with is still (barely) running OS 10.4. :rant: In all honesty, he does not need more than 1 computer :rant:

There is a maxor external harddrive that has a one button back up feature that is mac compatible, 750gb SATA. sorry for the slow reply I had to double check in work before I commented on it for sure.

If you have 10.5, I'd try Time Machine and see how you like it.

If you're still on 10.4, I'd just make an image of the drive with Carbon Copy Cloner.

EDIT: Didn't see you didn't want to use Time Machine...whoops.

(I'm macdude, and I'll be your captain aboard the failboat today...)
Time machine would great if it did not require double the hard drive space.... regardless if you have filled used all your space on that drive in the first place.

My father has a new iMAC with 320Gb Hard drive, there he needs a 750Gb Drive. And he really can not justify that expense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom