Certification Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

grkbar

In Runtime
Sorry if I repeat previous questions and threads.

I am finishing a degree in Computer Info Sys and Business Admin. I was also looking to get some good certifications. I heard that the A+ and N+ certifications are the most reputiable. However, is there a difference between comptia A+ and N+ and other A+ and N+ exams. Also, what other certifications would you recommend. I am very good with computer hardware and have been self teaching myself through OS options and troubleshooting.

Sorry if I repeat previous questions and threads.

I am finishing a degree in Computer Info Sys and Business Admin. I was also looking to get some good certifications. I heard that the A+ and N+ certifications are the most reputiable. However, is there a difference between comptia A+ and N+ and other A+ and N+ exams. Also, what other certifications would you recommend. I am very good with computer hardware and have been self teaching myself through OS options and troubleshooting.

Since your close to finishing your degree you should truely dive into the world of certifications. A+ and N+ are not necessary to get other certifications, but they will help with Basic knowledge.
A+ Is VERY broad troubleshooting for PC's (BasicallY), while N+ is all about communications, networking, connecting computers, routers etc etc. And since your almost done with your degree N+ will be even easier. A+ and N+ are so easy (easy relative to your Major) that you could probably complete and become certified in both within a year. (If not less)
Some other more difficult certifications you may want to look into that are related to your Major are, CCNA (And the two next levels of it) and CISSP.

Though, for more information on the many certifications that exsist I suggest your read about at tech exams.
Free MCSE MCTS MCITP Cisco CompTIA CWNA and CISSP exams and study notes

Thanks for the suggestion. Is there any difference however in comptia A+ and N+ compared just plain A+ and N+ certs. I really do not know much at all on the certifications so that could be a dumb question, but I am trying to learn more on them and just curious. Any input is appreciated. Thanks

I am not sure, maybe it has changed since I got my A+, but I always thought A+ and N+ where only offered through comptia...

While you don't have to take the training or studies through comptia I am pretty sure you have to be tested by them..

Most certifications have a parent company or organization attached to them..

How do the exams and recognition of achievements work?
Is there an online test that we take? (I realized that's probably not the case half way through typing that for obvious cheating reasons)

Are there places that one goes to in order to write this test? I live in Toronto, Canada, how would I go about getting my security+ or cissp?

You would get certifications for verification. Maybe some type of wallet identification card as well.

Many tests are taken at specific testing centers. I do not know of any online tests for certifications.

There are no online testing centers for these test.

Go to comptia's website (Welcome to CompTIA - The Computing Technology Industry Association) go to the certification you're looking to get and look for testing centers.

For my 2-cents, the A+ and Net+ certs are a bit of a joke. They prove you know basic concepts. I actually don't put much stocks in certification at all except to help weed out candidates. They do however, get you into an interview when you don't have much work experience, where you can then prove that you know your stuff.

What do you mean by so good in testing?

Testing in general shows you know concepts. How to apply them is still the tricky part. Some newer version of the Microsoft tests have scenario based questions which help tackle this area, but they still leave room for improvement since they mainly target Enterprise deployments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom