Non-Static IP, Any Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aetherh4cker

Corrupt Techie
My service provider is Qwest, and I don't have a static IP. I like to be able to log into my home PC from work and stuff, but now it's getting annoying as it keeps changing. At first it seemed like it only changed when I power cycled my DSL Modem (and router, combined), but lately I've been noticing that it seems to change even after just rebooting my PC.

The ideal scenario would be that every time my IP address is changed, the new one would get text'ed (via e-mail) to my cell phone, since I always have that with me.

If anyone could enlighten me to a method of doing this, or something similar to overcome my problem, I'd greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

I would have to say that the texting method would get quite irritating after a while. What you can do is set up DDNS, which is basically a way to open an account (some offered for free) with a page that does free Dyanamic DNS. You can install a client on your PC (if it is connected directly to the broadband modem), and everytime the IP address changes, it will send the new info to the DDNS group. Some routers already have the functionality built in, and just need to be enabled, and configured properly. My D-Link WBR-2310 has DDNS built in, that automatically sends out the new IP info to their DNS server.

I have been using No-IP - Dynamic DNS, Static DNS for Your Dynamic IP for about the past 3 months or so with no trouble. I got a free domain name that is http:// [insertdomainnamehere] .no-ip.org. There are several suffix's that you can pick, or you can use your own domain name if you have one.

Thanks for the advice, Ethereal_Dragon.

The idea of the Dynamic DNS sounds acceptable, with my only complaint being a program constantly running in the background. I checked out the update client that No-IP uses, and it doesn't have the option to load on startup, update IP, then exit.

It really seems like my Actiontec Modem (and router) doesn't have built in support for Dynamic DNS, unfortunately. This would have been everything I dreamed of... but oh well.

After considering your suggestion, I'm left with two questions:

1. If I did buy a router that supported it, would the feature still work being plugged first into my DSL modem, and then into the wall? I've been thinking of buying a router anyway because my DSL Modem (and router) only has one Ethernet port. The only reason I think it's a Router/Modem combined is because it also has wireless and port forwarding, and all that other router-ish stuff.

2. Any other suggestions?

As far as wanting the client to automatically exit, you wouldn't want that. You would want it to be constantly running, so that each time you get a new IP address, it would send that info back to the DDNS host.

1. I can't answer this with 100% certainty, but I would say yes. I too have DSL service, and my DSL modem has a single ethernet port as well, and it can perform NAT. What I have done, is go into the modem configuration screen, and essentially configure it to be a "pass-through"... the router handles the PPPoE with the ISP, and it also does the DDNS. I can only suspect that your modem would offer the same functionality.

Some browsers have support dyndns.org accounts. My airlink one does. The firmware on the router keeps it up to date, no program required.

As far as wanting the client to automatically exit, you wouldn't want that. You would want it to be constantly running, so that each time you get a new IP address, it would send that info back to the DDNS host.

1. I can't answer this with 100% certainty, but I would say yes. I too have DSL service, and my DSL modem has a single ethernet port as well, and it can perform NAT. What I have done, is go into the modem configuration screen, and essentially configure it to be a "pass-through"... the router handles the PPPoE with the ISP, and it also does the DDNS. I can only suspect that your modem would offer the same functionality.

I don't think my IP address ever changes in mid-usage though. It only seems to change when I reboot my computer or DSL Modem.

I just really hate having unnecessary applications running in the background.

Looks like I went with your plan, Ethereal_Dragon.

I hope you're happy. Now I have a background program running and I'll hate myself forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom