Printing across a home network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Baseband Member
Hi there, i'm having a problem printing from a laptop to a printer connected locally to a desktop pc via usb cable. The laptop finds the desktop pc ok in the same workgroup but the 'add printer' wizard cannot see the printer attached to it. The firewalls are set for file/printer sharing, and the printer is set up for sharing on the desktop pc. They are both running windows xp sp2, i never used to have this problem when the printer was connnected to LPT1, but now it's a usb connection with a 'virtual printer port' can anyone help please?

If it's a Windows XP Pro, you might want to check the share permission in the security tab. Allow everyone to print.

If it's a Windows XP Pro, you might want to check the share permission in the security tab. Allow everyone to print.

No its XP Home, service pack 2. Both computers are connected to a belkin router, the laptop is wireless, but the desktop is wired. Everything i can think of is set to share. When i explore the network using the laptop, it can 'see' the desktop in the workgroup, but when i click on it i get the error message "you don't have permission blah blah....contact your administrator blah blah" etc, and of course can't find the printer that is attached to the desktop. i'm sure its something really simple i've overlooked, but i can't think what! AAAARGH!!!

reshare the printer. it's not finding the lpt1 one because you are now using usb drivers

I've checked the printer settings, its set up for sharing and its printing using 'USB001' virtual printer port, (this is connected to the desktop via usb cable). When i try the 'add printer' wizard on the laptop, selecting a network printer it asks me to choose the printer from the list. The list contains the desktop pc name, but no printer is listed against the desktop. as i said both pcs are in the same workgroup, they're both using the same version of windows, xp home sp2, all the firewalls are set up for file/print sharing, the printer itself is set for sharing. The laptop just cannot see any network printers anywhere. I can move files from the laptop to the desktop ok no problem, i just cannot print from the laptop. The printer drivers are installed ok on both compters as xp autodetects the printer on each if i plug the printer in directly. Can anyone help please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom