Hard Drive and Motherboard Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ithryndil

In Runtime
I currently have the hard drive for this computer. All that I know is that that is the hard drive I currently have. I recently upgraded my motherboard, RAM, and CPU and during the rebuilding...had some issues. I noticed that my hard drive was connected to my old motherboard by an IDE cable. However, my new motherboard only has one interface on it for IDE cables. Is there anyway around this or do I need a new hard drive with an SATA interface? Thanks for the help.

if your motherboard has a ide interface then it should be able to connect to 2 ide drives which is usually optical drive and hard drive. If you have a cable laying around from your old computer then use that to connect it.

Well, the cable I have is able to connect to the hard drive and one of my cd rom drives. I guess my hard drive doesn't have a SATA interface. I suppose I could buy a new hard drive with the SATA interface, I have a couple cables for that.

So far I have the hard drive connected via the IDE connector, however, the hard drive is just laying in the computer case. As the spacing between the IDE connector and where the hard drive should go according to the case is too far apart. I have also sacrificed one of my CD drives to do this. Is there anyway around that, or am I stuck with this? This may be trying to compare apples to oranges, but is there an adapter that will allow me to hook up my hard drive through one of the SATA interfaces on the motherboard even though the connector on the hard drive is an IDE connector?

Edit: I found this and am about 100% certain that it will work for what I need that way I can use my other CD drive. I'd just like a second opinion. Thanks.

Bump, any opinions on the adapter? It's a cheap solution that should allow me to use both CD drives and my hard drive with no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom