Quick Question about Static IP's

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaMadScientist

Baseband Member
Ive got a desktop at home and a laptop going through a router, i also have Zonealarm Security Suite on both, now since my laptops IP keeps changing due to DHCP of the router, my firewall on the desktop keep blocking the unknown IP addresses trying to connect to it, and i dont want to add the whole range of private IP's to the firewall settings, so i setup static IPs on both laptop or desktops and just added those address into my firewall exceptions, my question is, i also use the laptop at school with wireless, and i most likely know that my static IP will conflict with someone on the campus network, and i was wondering if it was possible within Windows or a third party app to just switch from static to DHCP assigned IP and vice versa without going into the TCP/IP options every time.

What you could do is setup your computer to use DHCP, but define in your router to give a certain MAC Address (the address of your laptop for example) the same IP address.

This way at home, your IP address is always the same, but anywhere else, it operates as a regular DHCP.

I agree with Gavin. On my D-Link WBR-2300, it has the option for DHCP reservation list, and I give each client an IP address in that manner.

Good advice bla!!, I have honestly never noticed the alt. Config tab... I will have to look into that on my girl's laptop also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom