Oblivion/Stuttering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its odd how I have this nice shiney new rigg, but I can't play games that came out years ago (The Sims 2, Half-Life 2) at top speed without stuttering.

Who'd of thought ram played such a huge role :-| (whats also funny is that I downloaded the DiRT demo and it runs beautifully)

G-Skill is good.. and for most systems for Oblivion is an Achille's Heel even if its high end

Its odd how I have this nice shiney new rigg, but I can't play games that came out years ago (The Sims 2, Half-Life 2) at top speed without stuttering.

Who'd of thought ram played such a huge role :-| (whats also funny is that I downloaded the DiRT demo and it runs beautifully)

yeah thats a pretty good rig except for the ram.

G Skill is good. Any brand like crucial, corsair, kingston, patriot, etc. that has a lifetime warranty is what you should go with. As long as your mobo supports it (be sure to check, I've had some nasty surprises!), then you're fine.

Oblivion is going to stutter no matter what system you have, it's the constant loading and unloading it goes through because of its' open-ended gameplay. 1GB+ will reduce stuttering a ton. My system gets stuttering here and there, even if it is as high-end as it is.

So far my G. Skill is running flawlessly, can't go wrong with them, but there are also other good companies that offer good sticks.

Stuttering is very closely related to memory issues, wither it be system memory or video memory, you can be running SLI 8800 Ultras and it will still stutter often with 512MB system memory.

AH.

Its just not right when games lag and you have more than the recomended specs! Half Life 2 and The Sims 2 shouldnt be lagging!

I've got the latest.

It isnt a constant lag however, its just when I'm zooming and whatnot, But still.. I am very much ahead of the system specs.. Maybe its just cheap ram?

Could it be that I'm not using the special MSI brand of nvidia drivers but instead the generic forceware drivers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom