First Time Linux-Ubuntu 7.04

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahhh too much to read!!!. im soooo lost!!!, ahhhk ill go over the webpage. sigh!!!! (im begining to "love" windows right about now...)

Haha, it's something you're either gonna love or hate. I am a Unix lover, and before I even started I was a Unix lover. I seen a solution, and I knew I needed to master the solution. Here was my ordeal:

Sure, I had a Windows computer, but I knew it didn't handle things efficiently. One day I seen a website that said "Ran Entirely on FreeBSD". I then clicked on it to see what it was. A performance-based server platform. I knew I had to figure this out and master it. This was what I wanted, it was amazing.

I immediately began the first step, trying to figure out how to make a bootable floppy. I created it, popped it in, then I had to burn a disc, did that and attempted to figure out everything in the setup options.

Blah blah blah, long story short, need is the master of invention (or in this case, learning).

You don't need to install tar.gz files. They are archives, like a zip file. Sometimes they contain programs that will need to be compiled, but not always. Double click on them and they will open in the archive manager, then use the GUI to extract them. Alternatively, you could use the command: tar -xvf archive.tar.gz

You don't need to install Cube, either. It's a binary if I remember correctly. Just navigate to the directory where you extracted it in the terminal and run it.
Code:
cd /path/to/cube
./filename
"filename" being the name of the executable in the Cube directory. I don't remember exactly what it was, but I think it was something like "saurbraten-unix"

Oh, and the Tab key will be your new best friend when typing paths into the terminal. Type the first few letters of each directory and then hit tab, and it will auto-complete it. Not only is it faster, but it also lets you know if the directory actually exists.

EDIT: Wait, what? FreeBSD? Are you still using Ubuntu?

Heh I'm not having a problem. I like Linux, but I really like BSD. I'm just saying what my experience was like. It takes the right personality to undertake such a process.

Sorry, I'm confused. My post was directed towards revenge2, he seemed to need help on running Cube 2. I'm not questioning your preference of BSD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom