Linux OS for server

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your dad has SUSE Linux Enterprise Server? I know the regular SUSE distro is not always up to par, but all I´ve heard about the LES are good things. Also, I mentioned SUSE and Red Hat because their server solution support programs will be more like Microsoft´s and they are backed by bigger Linux commercial vendors such as Novell and Red Hat.
Yeah, SLES. It's a real piece, worse than the consumer editions.

Yeah, SLES. It's a real piece, worse than the consumer editions.

Heh, cool, first time I´ve heard it was that bad. Not that this is the thread for it really, but any particular reason? Is it RPM **** messing things up?

SLES is hella-expensive for a Linux suite as well iirc.

RPM does mess crap up...and YaST doesn't make it any easier/better. It tends to freak with multiple CD drives.

Not to mention, stuff breaks for seemingly no reason. DBUS hasn't worked since install, and ACPI just works when it does/doesn't want to. We can't figure out the trigger...

Kubuntu
Kubuntu - The KDE Desktop

Ubuntu
UBUNTU - World Forum of Networks

ATMission:
ATmission - AT Consultancy's Linux LiveCD

Smoothwall
Welcome! - SmoothWall

The Minimalistic distros work well as servers, try these

Vector Linux
VectorLinux - VectorLinux.com

DSL
DSL information

To get a graphic GUI just open a terminal and type sudo aptitude install x-window-system-core gnome-core (or gnome if you want all the bells and whistles of a full desktop environment)

cheers,

Jake

tried the command but it seems like some files or packages is missing and could not install. Is there any method i can add it in?

after i have install the GUI with the command (sudo aptitude install x-window-system-core gnome-core)when i start with the command (startx) there is only mouse cursor and nothing else...is there any step i miss it? i can't see any GUI at all...except the mouse cursor

hi all for the ubuntu email server services now i only see that if i want to add a user account into the server i have to type the command 1 by 1...so if i got 100 user it means that i have to key in 100 times, is there any faster way to do like the AD(Active directory) i can write a script to it. Is there anyway i can add 100 users into the email server without keying 100 times the command line?

What's the command you have to run? I have no experience whatsoever with mail servers, but writing a script to do it would probably be possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom