1/4 " Microphone to computer input

Status
Not open for further replies.

KyleO

Beta member
I want hook up my 1/4 " Studio Mic to my 1/8 " input jack on my computer so I can use the mic to record, so I went out and bought a device that converts the 1/4 " to 1/8 ". I plugged it in but it doesn't seem to be recording. I tried setting up the device in Control Panel but no cigar. Is there any special software or hardware I have to acquire before doing this?

I vouge for Audacity as well. One of my friend's is doing something like the same, except he's using a mixing board/plugging his band's instruments into that so he can edit the music as needed xD.

I already am using Audacity as a mixing program. I am experienced in audio-editing but I've never tried recording with a 1/4 inch before. It's not recording and I was wondering if I need to run through a mixing board or preamp first?

I already am using Audacity as a mixing program. I am experienced in audio-editing but I've never tried recording with a 1/4 inch before. It's not recording and I was wondering if I need to run through a mixing board or preamp first?

set audacity to mic. open your sound properties in control panel and unmute the mic

Just use the 1/4" to 1/8" adapter on your 1/4" plug, and make sure you'r eplugging it into an input (mic jack). It shouldn't matter, that you're plugging it straight in, so you shouldn't need a mixer or preamp. Then do what Eric said.

If you're using a condenser mic and no preamp your level could be REALLY low, too (phantom power through computers generally sucks).

If you're using a condenser mic and no preamp your level could be REALLY low, too (phantom power through computers generally sucks).

The +20dB pad on your soundcard is NOT phantom power. A condenser mic requires either a power supply or phantom power. Phantom power is +48v (volts, not dB) that powers the microphone. That does not boost the signal or anything, it just powers the mic. Computer soundcards do not have 48v phantom power.

Original poster:

You should have just spend a few bucks on a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter and plugged directly into your microphone jack on your soundcard. What "device" did you buy?

The +20dB pad on your soundcard is NOT phantom power. A condenser mic requires either a power supply or phantom power. Phantom power is +48v (volts, not dB) that powers the microphone. That does not boost the signal or anything, it just powers the mic. Computer soundcards do not have 48v phantom power.

Original poster:

You should have just spend a few bucks on a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter and plugged directly into your microphone jack on your soundcard. What "device" did you buy?

That is the device I bought, A simple converter that goes into the mic jack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom