A way to monitor internet usage over LAN?...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris93

Baseband Member
Basically,

My family has a 12GB qouta every month, and we usually go over, although everyone denies using up all of our quota. :( lol

I want to know if there a way to monitor which computer on our network is using the usage? We have a couple of computers set up and I want to see which one is using the usage, and what URL they're visiting.

Is it possible?? The URL part isn't too important, but I wouldn't mind knowing what they were. :D

Thanks!

it doesn't sound like a specific URL which is gobbling up all your bandwidth. more like ly that your kids are downloading music or movies with p2p software such as Bittorrent. in which case, if you have a good enough sort of router, you can block the ports which the p2p software uses via the router firmware.

or alternatively, you can give your kids a good spanking :)

lol:

A: I am one of the kids,
B: The router is a Belkin cheap AU$100 thing, the modem is a Thomson SpeedTouch 530
C: Last time I checked, there was no monitoring thing on the router/modem
D: music is downloaded a bit, not so much movies (We use LimeWire/Azureus:D)
E: That's why I don't want to block any ports(I opened them for this reason)

F: Why would I spank myself???

Thanks for your replies guys,
Any other suggestions?

Oh also,
I checked that website superdave, not really willing to spend a heap of money on it

EDIT:
My brother and I play Counter-Strike: Source (sometimes at the same time), but last time I checked, that didn't use the internet a lot, just to map players and voice??

Any comments suggestions appreciated!

azureus?

A: maybe thats whats gobbling up your bandwidth, but i wont patronize you and tell you what p2p does to your internet.
B: use azureus to find some software then :)

***IM JUST JOKING I DO NOT CONDONE SOFTWARE PIRACY TO ANYONE***

C; yes give yourself a spanking.

overall i think it would be cheaper to hire a private investigator to find the culprit than get the sort of kit your asking for. that sort of monitoring is used primarily on business networks. stuff like that isnt really designed for home use.

good luck finding something though

That's why I want to get some program, so I can see if it is azureus that's using up the bandwidth.
Also, I would like to know if anyone is accessing *cough cough* R18+ material:laughing:

You could try blocking alkl of the ports in the router, except for the ones you really need, like port 80 for HTTP.... and whatever else you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom