is this version of PHP installer outdated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwokwai

In Runtime
Hi, all members!

I am starting my first lecture of learning PHP.
To start with the lecture, I have to download all the PHP materials from
our school web server.
What we are provided are as follows:
1. xitami-24 (Revised: 99/06/23) I see this message in the xitami.cfg.
2. PHP.exe (script interpreter) with a php4ts.dll (4.4.2.2).

I have noticed something strange for the version of PHP installer I downloaded from my school's Web server, since its file size is just around 1MB, but when I checked out "PHP: Downloads", I see the PHP installer 5.2.1 for Windows is around 20MB.

So, I am wondering if the PHP installer provided by my school is
already out-dated.

Please help clarify!

...php4ts.dll (4.4.2.2)...

So, I am wondering if the PHP installer provided by my school is
already out-dated.

Yep, just restating the obvious though: it's definitely outdated... your school version is 4.4.2.2 verse the latest 5.2.1, but there's not much you can do when it's related to school - and a bad idea in fact, for you might use new features of PHP5 and when the teacher goes to test it, booom.

Even though it is out of date, I'm sure the size of the executable isn't that big of a leap...your school likely just takes out the extras which you would get when downloading the official versions.

(Honestly though, I've not used an executable version...just the Apache module.)

Yep, just restating the obvious though: it's definitely outdated... your school version is 4.4.2.2 verse the latest 5.2.1, but there's not much you can do when it's related to school - and a bad idea in fact, for you might use new features of PHP5 and when the teacher goes to test it, booom.

Even though it is out of date, I'm sure the size of the executable isn't that big of a leap...your school likely just takes out the extras which you would get when downloading the official versions.

(Honestly though, I've not used an executable version...just the Apache module.)

Many thanks to the help, Vormund!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom