HDTV's Difference between DLP and Plasma?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got an hdtv. I"ve since found out that they are not healthy for us like regular big screens

lol, i got a 55in mitsubuiti rear projection. i just got one thing to say. DONT GET A PROJECTION TV!!! THEY SUCK.

thats my 2 cents, and here is the other 98:

the screen on a projection is blurry (about 2 years old), there are squares all around the edges, it weighs about 400 pounds and uses about 500W...makes lights dim here. the best viewing angle is directly infront, so off to the side, and upper, and lower viewers, stay away.

crt: i wont even get into that. one thing: OLD TECHNOLOGY.

lcd: slightly newer, way less power, little more than crt. bigger screen sizes than crt.

plasma: never owned one, so i dont know.

projector: (ahahah got one so y not) only good when dark, and on a good screen surface.

Did andrewsvalesen honestly say plasmas are better?

No, not by a long shot. Not in anyway what so ever.

I have a 32" LG LCD HDTV that I game on with my PC and it looks amazing.

My 32" Olevia lcd picture quality is stunning.
I can honestly say if you are looking for the best bang for buck, go dlp. 3 months ago I purchased a 56" Sharp dlp for $1250 shipped. HD satellite looks awesome. My pc is hooked up to the 32" and 56" and you'd be very surprised to see the bad a$$ picture quality on both tv's.
Anyways, imo, dlp is very very good. Plasmas?....heavy, more expensive to repair and too darn bright. good luck

well if you are in a bright room, then a bright tv is a good thing, else, in a dark room, you dont need to turn a light on. so i dont see why a tv would be too bright.

you must not have a hdtv. they can get so bright that they can hurt your eyes, especially the cheap ones

i'm gonna try my hand at explaining things...in a simpler cleaner style but factually too :D

DLP
PLASMA
LCD

I prefer LCD, that said...

DLPs seem cheapest of the bunch, followed by Plasma, and then LCD is most expensive. Some people reference Plasma as being more than LCD? I am not sure on that.

DLP: tend to be cheaper becuase they are projection based.
Pros: Supposed deeper blacks than LCDs (supposed only based on new gen dlp vs old gen lcd)
cons: Rainbow effect and large size. I for one still do not prefer even the highest quality dlp...it still looks like a bicycle reflector IMO.

PLASMA: Started as most expensive, than started becoming just as cheap as dlps. Once consumers started realizing the drawbacks to both dlp and plasma their prices dropped below lcd.
Pros: Best picture quality in terms of dynamic range, rich colors and extreme contrast ratios.
Cons: Based on new gen (burn in is not an issue), plasmas tech has an inherit death to it...gas levels diminish and with it, visual quality...but people don't realize the gas can be reinjected to renew the life. However I think it uses a huge amount of energy vs the other 2 techs.

LCD: Started as best overall and still is. Space saving is key.
Pros: Thin and light, relative to size (the bigger you go, it just gets heavier...glass). Based on new gen, equals or surpasses all other techs in terms of black levels.
Cons: At the high end, the pricing can sore...

I think that was objective enough right? With LCD, you can go higher quality and larger size and all worry about is cost. You don't have to worry about increased energy use, costlier repairs (dlp motorized mirror arrays tend to need lots of maintenance), and you can achieve a true 1080p model (not saying others don't or have not).

Still, if you don't mind the more temporary nature of plasma, it does give you a more filmic look to images...something a lot of people like.

wat ever u get once u connect by hd cable its amazin. i have a 32" hd lcd (£400) in my room. when on sky it is pretty bog standard bt wen i get it connected to the hd cable it makes some differance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom