Zoom in Vista? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 03:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Default Zoom in Vista?

One of the things I miss from Linux with Compiz-Fusion is the ability to press the windows button and scroll the mouse wheel to zoom into the screen. I know about the zoom in the bottom right corner of Internet Explorer, but that's not as good as being able to freely zoom into anything on the screen. Does anyone know of a way to do this in Windows?

Old 10-15-2007, 04:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Default Re: Zoom in Vista?

Have your tried holding Ctrl while using the scroll wheel on your mouse?

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 10-15-2007, 05:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

That's pretty awesome, but it only works in IE. I want something that works with everything. In Linux, I could zoom into the desktop, icons, menus, or anything that was displayed on my screen if I wanted to.

I'm not trying to start an argument about Linux being better. I just was wondering if maybe there is some kind of 3rd party app or something that makes that possible in Windows because that's one feature that I used a lot.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

IT works on firefox as well as IE. It also works in Opera. It works in any browser.

If you want all teh icons and all that bigger you have to adjust them thru the properties menu. There is no 3rd party app that just magically zooms in on Windows like it does Linux.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Well, again, I'm looking for something that will zoom into anything on my screen, not just a browser or icons. If nothing like that exists, I guess I won't be able to do it.

Thanks for your help. I really wasn't meaning to start something to get you upset. I was just hoping there was a way to do it.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

I was just saying that there isnt a app like that on Windows. The only way to do it is with going thru the properties and zooming in that way.

I personally dont see the point. What is the sense in zooming on anything. If you cant see modify the screen so you can. What purpose does a zoom have? But that is all just personal preference.

Even a google search shows nothing.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Private Joker

Something similar to what you're talking about:

Start > Programs > Accessories > Accessibility > Magnifier.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Old 10-16-2007, 08:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli213 View Post
I personally dont see the point. What is the sense in zooming on anything. If you cant see modify the screen so you can. What purpose does a zoom have? But that is all just personal preference.
There are many possible uses for the zoom function. I used it to easily and quickly get closer looks at small pictures. I also used it while viewing Fox OnDemand where you can watch episodes of their shows. They don't allow you to watch full screen. So I just zoomed in and made it full screen myself. The zoom function in Beryl or Compiz also smooths out what is zoomed so it doesn't look blocky. It ended up looking slightly better than it did unzoomed.

Also it is a great accessibility feature for people with bad eyesight who are normally ok with a regular screen, but sometimes need help. You can just easily zoom into anything to read or see it easier. Small windowed games could be zoomed to take up more of your screen and still be playable. The possibilities are left to the imagination.

Just because Windows doesn't have something that Linux has doesn't mean that that feature is useless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
Something similar to what you're talking about:

Start > Programs > Accessories > Accessibility > Magnifier.
Thank you. That is a great feature and it's the closest thing I've found to what I'm looking for.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:59 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master Techie

That reminds of the time , I did community service at an elderly place , and they used a program named ZoomText, it Zooms a lot, they had some sort of eye disease , I helped many it felt good
Old 10-16-2007, 12:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
That reminds of the time , I did community service at an elderly place , and they used a program named ZoomText, it Zooms a lot, they had some sort of eye disease , I helped many it felt good
Wow. ZoomText is pretty awesome. Too bad it's about $400 for the basic version.

Closed Thread