Zone Alarm vs. Windows XP Service Pack 2 firewall

Status
Not open for further replies.

beedubaya

Golden Master
Im trying to decide which firewall to use. Should I use ZoneAlarm, or just use the firewall that comes with Windows XP SP2? I've heard good and bad things about the SP2 firewall.

ZoneAlarm without a doubt. It has better protection and is down right better than Windows Firewall. Its good for certain things but nothing can substitute for a real firewall.

zone alarm.. mmm.. i've tried MS firewall, it doesn't even come with a antivirus app.. it wants you to buy one?!

yup, when i install sp2 on my family computer, it pops up a balloon (wat windows called it), and on it it says, "you do not have a virus scanner installed, click on this balloon to solve the problem" (paraphrasing here).. and when i click on it, it led me as i recall to a website recommending 3 anti virus scanners, all of those i have to pay for..

just use both i do and i dont have problems you know about anti-virus this is just about the firewall warz is right waht harm can come from using both better protection if one cant do something the other should am i right.

considering firewall should scan all incoming packets for virus, yes, i do think virus scanner plays a major role here :D

Firewalls are needed, but they do not scan ANYTHING for viruses.

AVG and Avast are both great, and both are free. Check majorgeeks.com. And if you want a decent package (firewall/AV), check out Computer Associates (ca.com)... their free trial says a month, but they have been known to give a year.

Zone Alarm will do the trick. Just go through its little tutorial and read what it says.

furtivefelon said:
yup, when i install sp2 on my family computer, it pops up a balloon (wat windows called it), and on it it says, "you do not have a virus scanner installed, click on this balloon to solve the problem" (paraphrasing here).. and when i click on it, it led me as i recall to a website recommending 3 anti virus scanners, all of those i have to pay for..

I think thats spam....Windows messenger service

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom