zone alarm

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also use a BSD box, a router is very insecure ADZ. Hardware and Software makes you very secure.

thanx for all your inputs. now i used zone alarm and am having problems, so i went to uninstall it and i have this problem after i uninstalled it, when i reboot my pc! here is what it says..

cannot find a device file that may be needed to run windows or a windows application.

the windows registry or SYSTEM.INI file refers to this device file, but the device file no longer exists.

if you deleted this file on purpose, try uninstalling the associated application using its uninstall or setup program

if you still want to use the application associated with this device file, try reinstalling that application to replace the missing file.

vsdata95.vxd

press a key to continue.......

so now i had to reinstall zone alarm just to get this file back!!! can someone help me. can i get this file from somewhere else or am i stuck with zone alarm? :( i want to get rid of zone alarm and my file back.

Randy said:
I also use a BSD box, a router is very insecure ADZ. Hardware and Software makes you very secure.

Thats actually completely incorrect.

A hardware firewall does the same thing as a software firewall, only better, no windows to get things messed up, and it NOT writable. So no chance of a trojan turning it off.

Having both offers NOTHING except being able to view the log in an easier manner(which IMO is totally useless.

What version of WIndows? If its XP, I would uninstall ZOneAlarm, and then reboot into the Windows XP CD, and run a Repair on the Windows PArtition, this will re-install all Windows critical files, and should take care of your problem.

Works the same way in Win 2k.

I have another solution if its 98 or ME.

thanx and sorry about the double posting. i have windows 98se. is this different proccess then xp?

click 'Start', then click 'Run' then type in 'regedit' and click 'Ok'

You'll get to a window that has the folders listed on the left side, and an empty box area on the right. Click on the + box next to 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE'

Then click on the + next to 'system' which should be the last folder listed under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

From there, click the + next to 'CurrentControlSet'

Then click on the + next to 'Services'

Then click the the + next to 'VxD'

You should see a folder named 'VSDATA95'

Right click it and click 'Delete'. You'll be promted about deleting it, choose 'Yes'

THEN - Restart your computer and make sure the error isn't coming up. It shouldn't. You don't need to delete the whole string, just the folder.

thank you so much mindfrost82. for the detailed info :). that is what i need cause i dont have a clue as to what im doing, also what is vsdata95 ? cause from the way i was taking it, It was saying that i deleted vsdata95 when i uninstalled zonealarm, and that i needed this file? so i had to reinstall zonealarm just to get the file back, and to keep the error from coming up? if u read the first post i made in this thread maybe im wrong but that is the way i was understanding it. im really confused now. :eek:

Zone alarm pro is nothing but a pig on system resources and quite frankly is not as good to operate as the free version. If you want to try a stable, system friendly firewall that when tested will provide you with stealth security the try the link above for kerio.I was an avid zone alarm user (pro & free) and was very surprised when introduced to this alternitive. Give it a try for a while . You'll even see an improvement in bandwidth .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom