ZIP files in Windows 2000? Why do I have to use WinZip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dasein512

Beta member
I had Windows Me and have seen Windows XP, they have compressed folders which works like a zipping program, but I know have Windows 2000 Professional, and I have to use WinZip, is there a way around this? Because I dont like WinZip because it's interface is not like Windows Explorer where I can thumbnail my photos. Hope someone has the solution! THANKS!

WinRar doesn't do any better, I am looking to find out how to configure compressed folders that seems to be on Windows Me and Windows XP already. Anybody with help? thanks

Dasein512 said:
WinRar doesn't do any better, I am looking to find out how to configure compressed folders that seems to be on Windows Me and Windows XP already. Anybody with help? thanks

Here is the deal, the zipped file only works on your system as long as it is formatted in NTFS. If you copy a compressed file from your XP machine onto a floppy disk, you will notice that the file size will be larger. In order to KEEP the file compressed when transfering it somewhere else (Email) you will have to use a third party software such as Winzip or Winrar. Not much we can do about it.

Well, the best of these are going to be 3rd party applications. I personally use Winace. www.winace.com
I keep it all over my PCs so I never really have to download it when I need it for a new PC or a client. The interface is easy, you can do a little more than Winzip and the install method and interface is clever (and a little funny)

-Mike

Holocron???

Here is the deal, the zipped file only works on your system as long as it is formatted in NTFS. If you copy a compressed file from your XP machine onto a floppy disk, you will notice that the file size will be larger. In order to KEEP the file compressed when transfering it somewhere else (Email) you will have to use a third party software such as Winzip or Winrar. Not much we can do about it.

Holocron???

I understood what you said, but why dont they act like seperate compressed folders like Windows Me or Windows XP, I would like to do that.

Heh, the gloves have come off :D Anyhow, I personally like winace, too. The best thing to do is look in some books, find out EXACTLY what the difference is in these file tables and then maybe you'd better understand what we are getting at. The question on "why" is kind of a layered question. You'd have to understand some other things first before you'd understand the reason why.

Dasein512 said:
Holocron???

I understood what you said, but why dont they act like seperate compressed folders like Windows Me or Windows XP, I would like to do that.

Dasein,

The reason they don't act like seperate compressed folders is because the NTFS File system is the on that does the actual compressing. That's why you can just open up compressed folders and they look 'normal.'

When you copy the files to your floppy disk, it is running a different file system (Usually FAT) FAT does not support native compression or encryption so the file defaults to its normal file size.

If you want to keep the files compressed, you HAVE to use a third party software, that is the ONLY way to keep the files compressed regardless of the file system.

i dont see why using a third party program is such a big problem.....

just suck it up and use winrar or something xD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom