Your input on some Odd norton advice about disk recovery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darsunt

In Runtime
I asked a norton tech whether if I could format my C drive (if it was corrupted by viruses) and restore it with just the Norton recovery disk and restore points copied on an external hard drive. I THINK he said I had to mirror the drive, and using that mirror disk in conjunction with restore points and the recovery disk I could safely recreate the drive after corruption.
I'm not entirely sure that is what he meant, one because of grammer issues (he is probably outsourced Indian). Also he wanted constantly to get into my computer and external hard drives, which I do not feel comfortable with.
Do you guys know this to be the case? I would want to just erase my entire disk if it got infected. Would I really have to make a mirror drive to restore it in that case? Those restore point files are huge, bigger than the files in the real disk!

He is talking about making an Image. Norton Ghost, Acronis True Image, FOG, CloneZilla. They can image your drive or "mirror" it so you can just get back up and running with minimal loss.

You cant just do it with Norton Anti-Virus and Restore Points. The Restore Points are Windows files and Norton will not recognize them nor be able to use them.

I've created mirrors before, in fact one of my computers I am using one.
It seems like the right thing to do, make a mirror of my disk at its present state and then if it gets corrupted by viruses (happens to at least one of our computers every 2 - 3 years) just replace it with an old mirror and update the mirror with restore points saved on a external hard drive. Have you done this before, Mak?
I don't want try to save a corrupted disk, I never trust a disk after it has been infected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom