Your favorite methods and routines for maintaining Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xandubomb

In Runtime
Like the title says. What is your favorite or preferred way to go about maintaining Windows? Reason I ask, is that I get so many requests from family and friends to maintain/speed up/clean their computers. And I was wondering if there are better or more efficient ways of doing this.

Here's the routine/method that I usually use:

EDIT* Actually one of the very first things I do is install Firefox. Then install Adblock and all the necessary plug-ins.

I go to the BIOS to disable anything not being used, and re-arrange the primary HDD as the first boot priority.

1 - I ask what programs they don't use, so I know what uninstall to help free up some space and resources.

2 - Then I look at the system tray to see the many unnecessary apps running in the background....and head to msconfig to disable some of the startup programs.

3 - I uninstall their anti-virus, because the majority of them use an expired Norton(or some other unknown AVs), and then install AVG. And with that I also install Ad-Aware. Then I give the computer it's scan throughs with them.

4 - Alot of them had a wireless network, so I checked if it was secured or not.

5 - I go to Windows Update and install any major and optional updates that they would need. I also update any of their programs/drivers that need updating. Like Adobe Reader 8 to 9.

6 - I install this defragmenter called AusLogics Defrag, which I think is a pretty fast and reliable defrag software compared to Windows' own. Then I run that.

7 - Then I just do a quick double check run through of everything to make sure everything is smooth.

That's about it. If you guys have better free software to recommend over the ones I use, please feel free to share.

Seems good to me but i'm a bit of a newb...
As for a defragment tool, did you try defraggler? its made by piriform (makers of ccleaner). Really freed up alot of space on one computer when windows told me i didn't need to defrag...
Also why don't you install ccleaner, deletes temp files, history, cookies etc and it also has a tool to scan the registry for issues, backup the registry etc. Both are freeware and made by piriform.

I haven't really heard about it but I just looked it up. It seems to be a really popular app for cleaning everything. I'll give this one a try as well. Thanks for your suggestions!

I use:

Ccleaner
Easy cleaner (just for the dead registry killer. Much better than Ccleaner, but I use both)
AVG
Spybot
Spywareblaster (preventer, not finder)
Ad-Aware (sometimes)
Defraggler
Either Comodo Firewall, or Zonealarm free firewall
I also use the Windows Defender sometimes as well...

On the subject of Auslogics, they do a fantastic program called Auslogics Boostspeed.
By fantastic i really mean it, makes a huge difference and does everything, defragging, RAM optimizing, cleans registry, cleans you disk, defrags registry, optimizes internet, and has managers for several things that would normally take several programs...
It can also be used to twaek parts of Windows, but only in ways that MS have already put in... tehy've just placed them together... :rolleyes:

I cannot recommend this enough :)
Speed Up Your Slow Computer with Auslogics Boost Speed

But unfortunately its not free :( (after 9 days)

Its worth using during that trial though, get it and use it till it runs out, or you decide you want to buy it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom