"Your current security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded" - WHY?? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 12:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Angry "Your current security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded" - WHY??

About a month ago my WinXP laptop got spyware-infested. After numerous attempts to remove it, I ended up reformatting the poor little beast.

Generally, it runs well. HOWEVER, certain web sites call up the error "Your current security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded" with no option to go ahead and download. Today's culprit is real.com, but others have had the same trouble. Some sites, far more dubious in my opinion, ARE able to download files.

I have tried adding these sites to my trusted domain, but this has no effect. I have tried temporarily lowering my security level for the Internet domain and trusted domain to Low, but it doesn't stick - it's right back at medium when I go back in.

I run SpywareBlaster and Ad-aware weekly and am pretty confident the computer is still spyware-free.

Why is the security out to get me??

Thanks,
Heather

Old 07-03-2005, 12:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

Did you try setting all security setting to default level? Do you have a firewall? Disable spyware blaster, reboot and then try to download again.

Old 07-03-2005, 01:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Resetting the security levels does not make a difference; they do not appear to stick with the new settings. I am using Windows Firewall; disabling it has no effect. Neither did disabling spyware blaster.

Thanks very much, though. More ideas?

Heather
Old 07-03-2005, 02:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

1. In Internet Explorer select Tools > Internet Options.

2. Select the Security tab.

3. Select Custom Level.

4. Scroll down to Downloads.

5. Under File download select Enable.

6. Click on Ok.

7. Click Yes on the Warning!

8. Then click Ok.
Old 07-03-2005, 02:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

File download is already set to enable on both my trusted and internet zones.
Old 07-03-2005, 06:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Parental controls?

Try firefox the solution for all web problems
Vista Discussion | 64 Bit Discussion |Microsoft Homepage | Yo Linux | Paul Thurrott | Fire Fox | Thunder Bird | Image Shack | Photo Bucket | Put File | Anti-Spyware | MS Anti-Spyware | Trillian | Anti-Virus | On Line Virus Scan
Old 07-03-2005, 10:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

use netscape 8 or firefox. that what I do when I encounter those errors. try unchecking the disable IE flash in spyware blaster.

Old 07-03-2005, 11:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thats what I thought it was..
Old 07-04-2005, 07:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I decided to go with Firefox. I tried it a while ago and didn't like it for some reason, I forget why, but it seems fine now. And I can download stuff.

Buh-bye, IE!

thanks very much, all!

Heather

Closed Thread