yet another xp booting problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

criss

Solid State Member
Ok...im running a Packard Bell EasyNote 3.2Ghz - WinXP Home edition...or I was.

Anyway, the entire story is I was backing up my personal files because I wanted to do an entire format of Windows XP using packard bell smart restore utility. Did that...all was going well until during the last stages of the process the laptop decided to shut itself down ( i stupidly let the thing overheat on an inadequate surface ). Nonetheless, windows XP was all installed - but there were some difficulties - the mouse pad wasnt working, and my plug n play microsoft mouse wasnt being deteced and hitting "add hardware" came up with the message of it already being in use etc. Furthermore, none of the drivers seemed to have been correctly installed ( this was the first format of the laptop I'd done ) etc etc.

Restarted it...and it goes like this :
1. first screen = A bit of writing saying Nvidia corp 64mb etc...this was normal
2. Packard Bell screen with F2 and F8 options ( Bios Setup and Display Boot order )
3. Now this is weird : windows **98** loading screen...not XP. Loads up
4. MS-DOS jibberish...immense amounts of text now on this fourth and final screen, all seemed to be related to moving some files and failing to. The 2 noticable files at the end are :

"Starting with C:\CABS\SCRIPTS\PROCESS\START\9\ZZZDRVCB.BAT"
Then says : "1 file(s) copied"

Then gives me :
"C:\WINDOWS\I386\sp2.CAB" with "1 file(s) copied" afterwards. It then rushes a small amount of text and simply goes back to screen 1 ( as described above ) and simply loops and loops endlessley....

Thats the problem... im thinking I'll get another Windows XP recovery CD ( which currently I dont have on me...sods law that one ), use the boot setup to order the laptop to boot from CD and simply reinstall windows XP fresh and just obtain the drivers from the internet or whatnot.

What do you guys thinks ? Truly stumped me...

Thanks ,
Criss

im not particularly knowledgable of these problems...but if it was a hardware issue...would'nt it have caused problems earlier during normal use ?

.BAT and .CAB files are the files installed with windows......( I think )

*prays* lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom