Yes!! Computer not working, pleaaw help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Argilus

In Runtime
Alright, my stats are basically below. For some reason when I installed win/98 it worked just fine, I was going to just upgrade from there to XP. Because I bought win/xp. Now, when I try to up grade the O.S. I get that lovely Blue screen, and Xp will not install. Please offer in advice I can possibly use.Thank you.

" a Problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first tinke you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps...." That's the blue screen.

in case noone offers you a solution you may consider backing up all your important data and do a fresh install of XP including formating the OS volume before install.

Here's the thing, this is all new, bought all the parts and just put it all together yesterday, and ran into the probably today. I honestly think there is a solution just I haven't had the right over-view of it. The last solution I want to do is take it to a techie** And pay money for something that I probably have 1% lack of knowledge of.

By the way, what is the normal avarage rate a techie charges anyway?

At what point in the install process does this happen? When you run setup from the XP cd? Or does it install THEN crash? There should be a "STOP" error message (a number with a buncha 0's... for example... "STOP 0x000000ED UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME")

it does give that stop message but not unmountable_boot_volume.

It just saying in can't find the hard drive disks. I don;t what that means considering I've got all the cables rightfully inserted,\.

I would do a BIOS defaults settings and then set 1st boot to CD ROM, and make sure your drive is plugged in good to ribbon and power and even change ribbon cable even if it is a new PC. A fresh clean install no upgrade, if all the above fails well your out of my knowledge base.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom