Yahoo is spying on us - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 08:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

Default Yahoo is spying on us

Surprise! Yahoo! is following you.

Here’s the deal: When you create an account with Yahoo!, you’re asked to click on a button signifying that you agree to its terms for use of the service. Somewhere within their agreement, it says that unless you specifically tell Yahoo! not to, it’ll track and record all your Internet activity, not just that associated with the service.

It does this by placing a small application on your hard drive that logs all the links you visit and then sends the data to Yahoo! What happens to that data is much less clear.

All subscription-based services have terms that you must agree to when you sign up. These agreements are generally composed of legal terms and other gobbledygook and usually are benign enough. But how many of us actually read these? We generally, and perhaps naively, rely on the service to fairly disclose what we’re getting ourselves into before we agree to the terms.

In the case of Yahoo!, I’m sure that within the text of the terms, it states that it’ll be engaged in this data collection. And there’s a procedure to opt out of this. It’s not hard to do, just not clearly explained anywhere by Yahoo!

If, like me, you don’t like the idea that some faceless company like Yahoo! is collecting information about your private online activities.

Yahoo! is as well-known and mainstream an Internet presence as any I can imagine. How many other online services do you suppose have a similar clause within their terms of use that allows them to collect your personal information? After all, it’s generally written in legalese, and again, how many of us actually take the time to read the entire text of the agreement before clicking the ‘‘accept" button?

Start reading those agreements.

How to turn it off
Monday, May 16, 2005

Put this URL into your browser’s address window: privacy.yahoo.com/privacy/us/. This will take you to a Web page where Yahoo! spells out its policies. Scroll down to the section about cookies; you’ll see a reference to ‘‘Web beacons."

Click that link. It will take you to the page that explains how these things work. Scroll down a few paragraphs, and you’ll see the words ‘‘opt out" highlighted as a link

Click it to execute an opt-out command.

Note :
You have to set the optout function on every computer from which you access Yahoo! Source: Newport News Daily Press

Old 05-19-2005, 08:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS

This is why I dont touch yahoo

Old 05-19-2005, 10:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via AIM to Static_11 Send a message via Yahoo to Static_11

isnt this crap illegal?? but then again... you accept... TRICKY PEOPLE grrrrr.....
Old 05-19-2005, 10:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via AIM to Blitze105 Send a message via Yahoo to Blitze105

No it is not illegal. You signed it. Oh and i think all IM's do that don't they?
Old 05-19-2005, 11:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via AIM to Static_11 Send a message via Yahoo to Static_11

isnt this crap illegal?? but then again... you accept...

corrected....
Old 05-20-2005, 12:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
Content Team

The idea of be tracked is just too much for me too! How can I cancel my yahoo mail? This revelation isn't really precipitating this, it's just that i have comcast now and I use their mail client, so there's no reason to stick with yahoo and their spyware anymore. ps would it be possible to have my mail forwarded?...somehow, I doubt it
Old 05-20-2005, 03:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Those sneaky people at Yahoo. Makes me proud that they are actually one service that I don't use. Does this apply to the messenger? I still have that on my computer from a long time ago.
Old 05-20-2005, 04:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Just format your hard drive and never go back to Yahoo.

\'There is only one basic human right, and that is to do as you **** well please.
And with it comes the only basic human duty, to take the consequences.\'

Old 05-20-2005, 08:30 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Techie

Follow his directions SkyHi and you'll see exactly what he's describing. Nice post EricB, thanks.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:31 AM   #10 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by SkyHi
Where's your source for this information?
I'm just wondering.

-SkyHi
the Columbus Dispatch. All you have to do is click the link above, and click web beacon and click opt out.

Closed Thread