Yahoo to offer unlimited Email Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
It seems that the big three, that is Google, Yahoo and Microsoft, always have to compete against each other. When someone introduces a new feature the others are surely going to announce a similar feature that is just a tad better than the feature of the other company. We are witnessing the race for Email storage at the moment. Microsoft has a storage limit of 2 Gigabytes for their users while Google has currently a limit of 2,8 Gigabytes. Yahoo decided to accept the challenge and give the others something to choke on, they announced today that they will offer unlimited Email storage to all of its users in the near future.
yahoo.gif
As someone who has seen to many unlimited deals in the past I'm a little bit cautious about their plans. Let us take a little example here. Yahoo has currently around 250 million users that use their mail service. Worst case for Yahoo would be if nearly all of their users decided to use Yahoo Mail to send and store large files such as holiday videos, presentations and high res pictures. Let us assume 1 Gigabyte per month per user which would mean that Yahoo would need 250000 Terrabytes of storage space to keep up with the demands of their users. It is however pretty unrealistic that all users will upload 1 Gigabyte per month.

There are surely many dead accounts and some use it for normal mails only. It remains to be seen how many users will really use it for large attachments and how Yahoo will react if a user decided to draw the unlimited option and send a lot of large files in a short time. Google for instance bans users temporary who upload more than 1 gigabyte to Gmail in a short time. John Cramer, Yahoo Vice-President of mail, put it that way: “We are comfortable that our users are far under 1 gigabyte, on average”
Two countries are excluded from the deal: China and Japan. The new service is supposed to go live this June.

Yahoo to offer unlimited Email Storage » gHacks tech news

I see just as a marketing ploy. They are counting on the fact that every account will not use the entire storage capacity. I have multiple gmail accounts, and don't even us 100Mb between all five account. This is just Yahoo trying to claim their position on the top of the hill, to get more users to switch to their service.

Worst case for Yahoo would be if nearly all of their users decided to use Yahoo Mail to send and store large files such as holiday videos, presentations and high res pictures. Let us assume 1 Gigabyte per month per user
Isn't there a limit on the size of attachments? It was 10mb last time I checked.

I have multiple gmail accounts, and don't even us 100Mb between all five account.
Really? I use 700mb of mine.

My GMX account has 1GB storage. I barely use any of it because it gets downloaded to my email client every minute. Mails are stored online for 2 days max (during weekends).
20MiB max email size.

F@*# yahoo. their are mad because everybody left them for google. when the government ask them for their record of our transactions ,they gave it to them. google told the government to go fly a kite

check how many people has left yahoo. yahoo counts accounts not being used at a valid account. I haven't use mine in over 3-4 years yet it's still there

check how many people has left yahoo. yahoo counts accounts not being used at a valid account. I haven't use mine in over 3-4 years yet it's still there
I have to agree. They just count the # of account signed up for. I havent used mine since i basically signed up for it since i only used it for spamming purposes. I never used that account for any real reason other then to get spam sent there. So even that account is getting counted when it aint used.

Plus consider that Eric and a few others have used it just for storage purposes. Not even for real email. they just upload a file and hand out the info and let people download the file from it.

So needless to say Yahoo just counts the accounts that have been signed up for. Not the accoutns that have been inactive for any given amount of time. Hotmail is starting to get that way as well. We will see what happens when they finally brnad it with the "Live" tag.

I dunno...I think Gmail sucks honestly. I have used Yahoo mail since 99 and had no problems. The new Yahoo mail beta kicks the s**t outta any online mail app out there. As PC World put it "Google gets more attention, but Yahoo gets more done".

There is no way anyone can upload/send 1GB of mail a day. Even though there is unlimited storage, there is still a restriction on attachment size. That being said, I also believe that this is just a marketing ploy as maybe .05% of their customers would ever use more than the already allotted 2GB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom