Yahoo to offer unlimited Email Storage - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 08:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris
Default Yahoo to offer unlimited Email Storage

It seems that the big three, that is Google, Yahoo and Microsoft, always have to compete against each other. When someone introduces a new feature the others are surely going to announce a similar feature that is just a tad better than the feature of the other company. We are witnessing the race for Email storage at the moment. Microsoft has a storage limit of 2 Gigabytes for their users while Google has currently a limit of 2,8 Gigabytes. Yahoo decided to accept the challenge and give the others something to choke on, they announced today that they will offer unlimited Email storage to all of its users in the near future.
As someone who has seen to many unlimited deals in the past Iím a little bit cautious about their plans. Let us take a little example here. Yahoo has currently around 250 million users that use their mail service. Worst case for Yahoo would be if nearly all of their users decided to use Yahoo Mail to send and store large files such as holiday videos, presentations and high res pictures. Let us assume 1 Gigabyte per month per user which would mean that Yahoo would need 250000 Terrabytes of storage space to keep up with the demands of their users. It is however pretty unrealistic that all users will upload 1 Gigabyte per month.

There are surely many dead accounts and some use it for normal mails only. It remains to be seen how many users will really use it for large attachments and how Yahoo will react if a user decided to draw the unlimited option and send a lot of large files in a short time. Google for instance bans users temporary who upload more than 1 gigabyte to Gmail in a short time. John Cramer, Yahoo Vice-President of mail, put it that way: ďWe are comfortable that our users are far under 1 gigabyte, on averageĒ
Two countries are excluded from the deal: China and Japan. The new service is supposed to go live this June.

Yahoo to offer unlimited Email Storage Ľ gHacks tech news

Old 03-28-2007, 02:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to AND_YOU_ARE Send a message via Yahoo to AND_YOU_ARE
Default Re: Yahoo to offer unlimited Email Storage

I see just as a marketing ploy. They are counting on the fact that every account will not use the entire storage capacity. I have multiple gmail accounts, and don't even us 100Mb between all five account. This is just Yahoo trying to claim their position on the top of the hill, to get more users to switch to their service.

X-Fire: andyouare1
AIM: plantagenet51

Ars Technica

Silent PC Review

Xtreme Systems
Old 03-28-2007, 06:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to kfc469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warez Monster View Post
Worst case for Yahoo would be if nearly all of their users decided to use Yahoo Mail to send and store large files such as holiday videos, presentations and high res pictures. Let us assume 1 Gigabyte per month per user
Isn't there a limit on the size of attachments? It was 10mb last time I checked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AND_YOU_ARE View Post
I have multiple gmail accounts, and don't even us 100Mb between all five account.
Really? I use 700mb of mine.

Old 03-28-2007, 07:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera

My GMX account has 1GB storage. I barely use any of it because it gets downloaded to my email client every minute. Mails are stored online for 2 days max (during weekends).
20MiB max email size.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

F@*# yahoo. their are mad because everybody left them for google. when the government ask them for their record of our transactions ,they gave it to them. google told the government to go fly a kite
Old 03-28-2007, 08:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

No EricB, yahoo is still the world's largest provider of Email accounts. Yahoo! has 250 million users. Microsoft has 228 million users. Gmail is the third largest Email provider and has 51 million users.

Yahoo Mail Announces Unlimited Storage
Old 03-28-2007, 09:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

check how many people has left yahoo. yahoo counts accounts not being used at a valid account. I haven't use mine in over 3-4 years yet it's still there
Old 03-29-2007, 05:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricB View Post
check how many people has left yahoo. yahoo counts accounts not being used at a valid account. I haven't use mine in over 3-4 years yet it's still there
I have to agree. They just count the # of account signed up for. I havent used mine since i basically signed up for it since i only used it for spamming purposes. I never used that account for any real reason other then to get spam sent there. So even that account is getting counted when it aint used.

Plus consider that Eric and a few others have used it just for storage purposes. Not even for real email. they just upload a file and hand out the info and let people download the file from it.

So needless to say Yahoo just counts the accounts that have been signed up for. Not the accoutns that have been inactive for any given amount of time. Hotmail is starting to get that way as well. We will see what happens when they finally brnad it with the "Live" tag.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 03-29-2007, 12:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via MSN to synergy Send a message via Yahoo to synergy

I dunno...I think Gmail sucks honestly. I have used Yahoo mail since 99 and had no problems. The new Yahoo mail beta kicks the s**t outta any online mail app out there. As PC World put it "Google gets more attention, but Yahoo gets more done".

There is no way anyone can upload/send 1GB of mail a day. Even though there is unlimited storage, there is still a restriction on attachment size. That being said, I also believe that this is just a marketing ploy as maybe .05% of their customers would ever use more than the already allotted 2GB.

HTPC: AMD FX-4100 3.6 GHz | Gigabyte GA-880GM mATX w/ ATI Radeon HD 4250 | 8 GB G.Skill RipjawX DDR3 1600
LG Blu-Ray/HD-DVD ROM + DVD RW | 60 GB OCZ Vertex SSD | WD Caviar 1 TB | Antec Veris Fusion Black HTPC Case
Logitech diNovo Edge KB | Win7 Pro 64-bit
3dMark06 23,159 | 3dMark Vantage 23,579 | TF2 Stats Page | BC2 Stats | BF3 Stats
MCSE (SharePoint 2013), MCITP & MCTS (SharePoint 2010), CIW
Closed Thread