XP x64 and, er, making it actually work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlleangelique

Baseband Member
I just bought a shiny new 'pute and because it's got 4Gb of RAM in it, I thought it'd be a good idea to install the 64-bit version of XP.

So I did, and the internet doesn't work. I use a network cable plugged into a BT Voyager 2110, using Pipex broadband, and before all I had to do was stick the cable in the back of the 'pute; this, however, doesn't seem to like that.

... Which could be to do with messed up drivers; on device manager, there are a number of exclamation marks, including next to an ethernet controller and, annoyingly, the sound. I definitely need both of those, obviously.

So: what I need help with is either making these work somehow, or changing to a standard 32-bit version of XP (which I have a CD for, but which it doesn't want to do anything with because there's already a copy of XP installed).

Anyone? Please?

Oh! Updating my motherboard drivers would've been a good idea. The Internet, then, now seems to work. My sound's still messed up, though; I think onboard is okay, but not my sound card, which I need as I have 5.1 speakers...

... And ah ha, that seems to be kinda working too now (out of two speakers, but they're probably plugged in wrong). Sorry to bother y'all.

First off. Do not double or triple post. There is a edit button. Use it.

As for hte sound. Do you have a sound card with 64 Bit drivers? If not hten you are stuck. Also go into the Control panel and adjust the sound settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom