XP won't load icons or task bar (Virus?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TotallyLost

Beta member
As my login name implies, I am totally lost when it comes to viruses. I am working on a computer for a friend. She downloaded an AOL update on Sunday morning and now, when her computer boots, it goes to the boot screen, lets you sign in, and then brings up the desktop bitmap. But, none of the icons or the taskbar ever come up.

You can go to Task Manager and see some of the files but it won't let you run any programs. I have tried to start several different programs and even open some of her pictures or documents but nothing runs.

Older Dell PC with 256 MB RAM, not sure on Processor speed, 80 GB Maxtor hard drive, DVD drive sounds like it is about to blow up but it runs. Tons of dust and dust bunnies inside but they don't seem to be clogging up the works. Just can't do anything but look at the pretty desktop.

Any ideas on how to run a virus program from a CD or floppy? I used to have a great one for my old Windows 3.1 but I'm sure its virus definitions are out of date.

i have accidentily ended explorer.exe before and that is what happend, all i did is restart my comp to get it to work again though.

I just saw this on another comp and last known good config actually worked

Restart has not worked and I have tried it several times. I have tried last known configuration and it did the same thing as before. Will see if I can get it to go into safe mode tomorrow.

If you can get into safe mode un-install the AOL thing...

Same sort of problem??!!

Using windows Xp home edition, only I didn't load AOL. All we did was switch it on & nothing just the wall paper! Can't get into anything or don't know how to get into anything apart from the task manager & then don't know what to do when I get there??!!

I have tried starting in safe mode, I get through to the owner admin screen, click owner then get a message box to ask if I want to load (or something) or restore, it goes if your not quick & then just sits on a black screen with safe mode written on it - dopes nothing.

I tried clicking yes quickly & it loaded the icons & start bar but before I could do anything it blipped back to the black safe mode screen!

Help please anyone!!

Jules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom