XP Won't Boot, Have Tried Almost Everything, Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

doodah12

Solid State Member
XP Won't Boot, Have Tried Almost Everything, Help!
Hi,
I have an XP boot up problem, bios runs, and as windows is about to (or should) boot, screen goes black and bios starts over. I checked the drive in another computer I have, and same thing. I then slaved it to make sure it's not a total disk meltdown, but I am able to access the disk and the files.
I've since tried:
Using the installation disk and using the repair option on the disk, hasn't worked, when it says to reboot and remove the disk, it goes back to the bios cycling over and over, the windows installation doesn't continue.
I've tried using the recovery console to run chkdsk /r, fixmbr, fixboot, bootcfg /rebuild, still no boot up.
I have a copy of partition table doctor which I could install on the drive while it's slaved on my other system.
Should I try this, or is there anything else I could try? I'm thinking I'm going to have to do a full re-install of XP, which I've been dreading, thanks.

You have tried every command that is built into Windows to try and rebuild the Boot. There is nothing more from within Windows you can do.

But the thing that concerns me is that you said you tried to boot it in another PC? You do realize that the hardware configurations wont match and it wont boot in any machine than the one that was used to install XP in the first place right? Any other machine will exhibit this behavior cause unless the hardware is exactly the same, the drivers installed during the install process will not match and the system wont be able to boot.

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom