xp will not start windows after setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

timber

Beta member
Ok,
I am trying to install xp home on a new hard drive. Everything goes ok through the first several steps. It formats, partitions and then copies all the files to the installation folders etc. Finally, it gets to where it says setup is initializing the xp configuration, then says it will reboot in 15 seconds. After it reboots, i do not touch any key so it won't reboot from the cd. It then says it is starting windows. But instead of starting windows, , it keeps looping back to the earlier setup screen where you can choose to setup xp, repair or quit. I have gone through this several times and each time it will not start windows but will keep reloading the earlier setup screen and i have to start the whole process over again. I checked the bios and it is set to boot from floppy, then cdrom, the hdd. I can not change these settings. The only thing i can think of is that the xp cd is a bad copy. Any help is appreciated.

If i remove the cd, upon reboot it will say "disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter". It will not boot from the hard drive. My motherboard is set where i can't change the boot settings-they are greyed out so they can not be changed. It is set to boot from floppy, then cd, then hdd. So, there must be something else going on if the xp cd is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom