XP Waving at me... - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 11-30-2003, 09:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default XP Waving at me...

Hey everyone, great forum. Perhaps someone can help me with my problem. I've got WinXP with 512 MB RAM and a 1.7Gig P4 processor, and a GeForce FX5200 graphics card. I recently had my local computer guy work on my computer and long story short- he had to re-install XP twice and the second time around I lost everything on my hard drive. This I am slowly dealing with each day...
What I'm confused by is that it now seems to run slower and is most noticed by the way I scroll through screens, particularly online. Instead of smoothly running pages up and down like it did before it now "sheets" the pages down (like waves) as I try to scroll down the page, especially if I use the mousewheel.
I've also noticed a considerable amount of degredation in all of my home movies I had backed up on disk, as though there's less memory. My computer seems to have all of my original components still installed and in tact.

Bottom line= Is this maybe caused by some common settings that defaulted when XP was re-installed? (That I can hopefully fix?) Thanks for any advice you may have.

Old 12-01-2003, 01:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Check device manager to see if there are any conflicts between different devices--sounds like it could be the graphics card to me conflicting with something else.
If there's yellow exclamation marks you may need to re/install drivers for those devices(sound/graphics/lan even)

...cos we\'re travelling...at the speed of thought...UltraMagnetics
Old 12-01-2003, 10:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
HONK if you route packets

Well, as for the first item....pages scrolling. Perhaps when the system was re-installed, you were deverted back to a default page-scrolling scale. I am not in front of an XP machine at the moment...But I know, for a fact, that there is a setting that allows you to change the amount of content that "scrolls" by with a single click of the scroll bar or a single roll of the mouse wheel. This settnig can be changed to "Full Page" or "3-lines", etc. I will post again once I am in front of an XP machine. In the meantime...if anyone knows where this setting is, do tell.

Old 12-01-2003, 12:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
HONK if you route packets

Ok, I've found where to change the setting I mentioned above.
Goto your Control Panel and get into the Mouse option.
Locate the Wheel tab and see if this is the problem with your pages "waving". I've attached a pic of the screen.

Old 12-01-2003, 01:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via AIM to mdominy7

I had the same problem of the pages "sheeting" if you will.. Make sure you have the proper drivers installed for your graphics card.. Thats what fixed mine...
Old 12-01-2003, 02:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
the flaming hermit
Send a message via ICQ to þÄ®âÐÖx Send a message via Yahoo to þÄ®âÐÖx

It sounds to me like you're running on XP's default video drivers which aren't accelerated. This causes considerable lag when doing things like moving windows around, maximizing or minimizing windows, or scrolling. Go to www.nvidia.com and pick up the latest Detonator drivers and you should be good to go.
Old 12-01-2003, 05:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

yes i agree, you most likely do not have your nvidia FX5200 graphics card drivers installed.

Closed Thread