XP or Vista?

Status
Not open for further replies.
sTATICO7 said:
What operating system is best?

That's an open ended question, you listed three, then asked "what" ... so I'll answer - Linux.

Had you asked "which" is the best, I would have chosen Vista, but that's pretty much a given, as it is the new version of Windows, making XP outdated.

Pepsiboy700 said:
Isnt that second picture of flight simulator 10 using dx10 the fake photoshop one?

Yes, It's clearly Photoshopped, anyone who thinks otherwise is either blind or a monkey.

People still don't seem to realize that OpenGL and Direct3D are just libraries that send instructions to the video card. That part that makes a game look good or not have nothing to do with which library you use, it has to do with the instructions that you are sending.

Any level of graphics quality that can be achieved using DirectX 10 can be achieved using OpenGL. It's a matter of which library you use.

The General said:
Here, I overlayed the "DX10" at 50% opacity on top of the DX9 one, you can see they are the same picture, just photochopped.

dxfakeuv5.jpg

You can see that all they did wad take a photo of the ocean and splice it in there, the perspective is all wrong. The sky? Just another photo splice.

Compare the defracted reflection of the mountain on the water. It's the exact same thing. This picture is 100% not real. I would bet my life on it.

Now that that's over with, I'll head on out before the anti-OSS team barges in and flames me for saying Direct3D is pointless.

Alright so you say that one is fake what about this one of the fish?

picture3la1.png

DX10
picture4mo1.png

But of course you are gonna say this is photoshopped as well. But in that case show me one picture that isnt. You show me any picture on the web and every single one of the CAN BE photoshopped. Doesnt mean they all are.

Dont be so biased against Vista and DX10. I know you use Linux General. Or was it OS X. Either way DX10 will take gaming to a whole new lever for PC's. Just cause it isnt on Linux or OS X doesnt mean you have to be so against it.

Makaveli213 said:
Alright so you say that one is fake what about this one of the fish?

picture3la1.png

DX10
picture4mo1.png

But of course you are gonna say this is photoshopped as well. But in that case show me one picture that isnt. You show me any picture on the web and every single one of the CAN BE photoshopped. Doesnt mean they all are.

Dont be so biased against Vista and DX10. I know you use Linux General. Or was it OS X. Either way DX10 will take gaming to a whole new lever for PC's. Just cause it isnt on Linux or OS X doesnt mean you have to be so against it.

It's just a more complex model, which can be done with OpenGL, Direct3D 9, or 10. That's more believable than the FSX one, but still ... more complex model = better instructions, not better library used to send instructions to the video card.

Still, I'll believe that one, but the FSX one is just sooo obviously Photoshopped it's not even funny.

I'm not anti-DX10, it's just that people think it's a bigger deal than it really is.

For example, everything we've seen so far from Crysis has been using Direct3D 9 ...

Infernicus said:
thats actualy amazing o_O when i saw that it made my eyes water

but is it worth more crashing, i mean yea stat wise Vista WILL out preform, but it has major bugs still

OMG ITS FAKE. :angry: :mad:

The General said:
OMG ITS FAKE. :angry: :mad:

yea i thought that might be a possibility but i didnt believe the graphics on the xbox 360 when i saw them tbh

meh oneday we'll have realistic graphics *sigh*

thanks for pointing it out though

Yeah general linux is not for games. and although libraries do matter, DX10 can and does do things that DX9 and OpenGL 2.0 cant do. i help right video card drivers on the side for the Haiku OS so i have some knowledge on this. And yes you can make scenes and models that look photo realistic without DX10, but its not real time and it can only be done in a high end 3d app such as 3dsmax or Maya. DX10 brings new things to the table for real time video game graphics. Go have a look at the demo videos for Crysis and Alan wake. The things those games are capable of are incredible.

and BTW General OpenGL is a frozen API. It was officially stopped with version 2.0. so any new tricks that DX10 brings will not be matched by a new version of OpenGL. it saddens me a little to know that OSX and Linux are now limited in the gaming capabilities they have, but those OS's aren't for games anyway.

here are links to the videos for Crysis and Alan Wake. These are real time graphics. no prerecorded demos like Final Fantasy or Killzone.

http://www.alanwake.com/movies.html

http://incrysis.com/crysis/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13&Itemid=27

http://incrysis.com/crysis/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=221&Itemid=32

zmatt said:
Yeah general linux is not for games. and although libraries do matter, DX10 can and does do things that DX9 and OpenGL 2.0 cant do. i help right video card drivers on the side for the Haiku OS so i have some knowledge on this. And yes you can make scenes and models that look photo realistic without DX10, but its not real time and it can only be done in a high end 3d app such as 3dsmax or Maya. DX10 brings new things to the table for real time video game graphics. Go have a look at the demo videos for Crysis and Alan wake. The things those games are capable of are incredible.

and BTW General OpenGL is a frozen API. It was officially stopped with version 2.0. so any new tricks that DX10 brings will not be matched by a new version of OpenGL. it saddens me a little to know that OSX and Linux are now limited in the gaming capabilities they have, but those OS's aren't for games anyway.

here are links to the videos for Crysis and Alan Wake. These are real time graphics. no prerecorded demos like Final Fantasy or Killzone.

http://www.alanwake.com/movies.html

http://incrysis.com/crysis/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13&Itemid=27

http://incrysis.com/crysis/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=221&Itemid=32

You really don't seem to understand.

1. Linux is an excellent gaming platform, the developers don't write many games for it because so many people use Windows. Don't even try to dismiss Linux's gaming capability just based on the fact that there are more games for Windows than Linux. Same applies for Mac OS X. The fact that "there are more games for Windows" does not account for it's superiority in gaming, it accounts for it's creator's monopoly on the market. Game makers make games for Windows because more people use it, and because of that, they can make more money. Period.

2. OpenGL is not "frozen" and it is not an "API" so you really need to get your facts straight. OpenGL is the industry standard for 3D graphics rendering. Videocards talk OpenGL, they don't talk DirectX. DirectX 9 has an implementation for OpenGL in which games/applications can directly communicate with the video card using OpenGL. When running an OpenGL application with DirectX 10 in Vista, DX10 takes the OpenGL instructions, translates them into DirectX talk, then sends it to the video card which translates DX talk back into OpenGL so it can actually render the **** thing. It's freaking retarded.

3. I have no idea what Haiku OS is, but I'm sure it's pretty freaking useless based on the fact that you claim to write video card drivers for it.

4. Every video and every screen shot of Alan Wake and Crysis have been taken using DirectX 9. You can find the interview with the CryTek guy on YouTube and watch it if you don't believe me. Alan Wake looks like crap anyway, I've seen side scrollers that have better pixel shading than that crap.

5. You still seem to miss the point, DirectX is a library that communicates with the video card. It has nothing to do with the level of realism, all it does is take instructions from the application and send them to the video card. That is ALL it does. Real time or not depends on the speed at which the library send the instructions, which is dependent on the speed of your computer, video card, which library, etc. DirectX is known to be more resource intensive compared to OpenGL (if you deny this, you either don't know what you're talking about, or you're straight up lying) which means that it's slower.

6. Linux and Mac OS X are not limited in capability, they are limited in content. Like I said before, game developers write games for the OS with the most users, not for the OS that is that best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom