XP user account

Status
Not open for further replies.

canooten

In Runtime
I'm in the beginnings of setting up new computers in my office. Our original systems run Win98, so they were set up granting the users full access to the system. With the new systems, I'd like to set some restrictions on installing software and making system changes. Setting up a Limited user account is 99% of what I need, except that it seems that most antivirus software is locked out from installing regular updates on a Limited account.

Am I correct in thinking this? Are there any AV programs out there that are allowed to auto update when logged in to a limited account? I don't mind having to intervene if a user wants to install a legit program, but I don't want to have to go around every couple of days and update AV software manually.

Any suggestions? Is there any way to get around this in XP?

Do your users have full internet access? If not just disable the cd rom and leave full admin account. I take it you do not have a domain setup since it sounds as though you are running xp home. If it was pro you can set permissions on the server for each user and push out the updates using nortons corp.

Yes, users have internet access, but in our business (music sales) they need their CD drives for music playback.

We're not set up with a domain, but we are using XP Pro all around.

Will this work with an antivirus program that is centrally managed and upadated? If that's the case, I'll use Norton Corporate or something simlar.

But won't it also restrict programs that do automatic upates such as antivirus?

That's my whole issue with Limited accounts....I don't want to have to oversee AV programs updating.

Do you know of any other network AV programs that work the same way? I'm not very fond of Symantec product. Plus the Corporate edition seems extremely expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom