XP updates - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 10-25-2003, 03:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default XP updates

Help!! I have Dell Dimension 4550. Several months ago I installed Win XP sp1... This slowed my machine drastically, so I uninstalled the service pack... Now I understand there is yet another xp update. Was whatever caused the slow down in sp1 ever fixed? What process / sequence should I follow to bring my system up to date? I can't live with the "slowness" that sp1 created -- does that risk / threat still exist?? thanks

Old 10-25-2003, 06:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie
Send a message via AIM to psychobrigade00 Send a message via Yahoo to psychobrigade00

i didnt notice a slowdown with xpsp1 but to help us better please include system specs so we can see whats were dealing with

Knight of the Roses
Asus A7N8X Deluxe
Athlon 2600+ Thoroughbred
Corsair TWINX512-2700LL
GeForce 4 ti 4200 128mb
Maxtor 40gb 7200rpm
plextor 48x24x48
Old 10-25-2003, 07:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Send a message via AIM to aye29 Send a message via Yahoo to aye29

I've heard that SP1 has a reputation for causing slowdowns and that Microsoft does not consider it a serious problem so it unlikely they will dedicated the time to fix it. But that was a while ago so I'm not sure if the new update has fixed the troblem. You could just install it and try it out. If you dont like then uninstall it.
Old 10-25-2003, 07:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I've a Dell 4550, pentium 4, purchased Nov 2002 / windows xp home edition, 512 DDR SDram.. I've read that many P4 users have had the same problem... Does any body know where I can get an "honest" answer about what the SP1 that's out there now will do to by system... What are the risks if I reinstall sp1 versus if I keep on trucking with Win xp as factory shipped? If I need to supply more info, please advise specifics... thanks for caring... TybeeLou
Old 10-25-2003, 10:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie

coz SP1 added a couple of new services to the existing XP OS's default service. However, you dun need SP1 to be secure. Coz' if anyone who installed SP1 will realise, after installing Sp1, you have even more updates to click.

Bill Gates really enjoy selling prototypes to the market...
PIV 2.6Ghz w HT 512k Cache 800Mhz FSB
Twinmos 1GB DC 400 CL2.5
120GB IBM 7200RPM w 2MB cache
120GB Maxtor 7200RPM w 8MB cache
Nvidia FX5200 128MB
Philips SXGA 150S4 15\" LCD
Cooler Mastor Centurion
Global WIN Cooling System
TDK Cyclone 48X24X28X CDRW
Panasonic FDD
Intel PRO 10/100 TX
Sigma IrDA Port
PixelView FM/TV Pro
Old 10-25-2003, 10:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

as far as i can tell i've been using winXP without any updates at all, zero. in fact i also use office 2000 even though i have office XP. the reasons i do not update is because office XP keeps seeking my hard disk to "optimize" itself constantly every few minutes. and the reason i don't use SP1 or any other winXP updates is because so far i have no security problems and i am on ADSL.

My advice to you is if it aint broke don't fix it. If you have winxp security problems or you need USB 2.0 support than you have little choice but to upgrade. as for me i'm not missing out on anything, i'm as happy as can be with the "old" stuff.

Closed Thread