XP-Temp Files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmy hoffa

Baseband Member
I am new to the XP OS. In the past, some IT tech people told me to delete ALL *.tmp files in WIN ME OS , to correct a problem. They said that it was ok to delete them all and it was. Now I have WIN XP and I searched *.tmp files and found almost a whole OS contained in the file. Is it still safe to delete?????
Also , what about deleting %temp% files??.
When I had WIN ME---there were only a few files in *.tmp--now, in XP, there is almost everything. This may help a lot of people besides myself. jimmy

Thats is a tough one.I have ME and have no problems.Is this a dual operating system ?
If you don't have a shortage of hd space then wait this out.

thanks--that is what I will do. *.tmp was a dumping ground for unnecssary files on 98/ ME, but with XP--who knows?

under winxp OS you have the Prefetch and the Minidump folders under the windows folder - and these are the files that you could delete - Minidump could ofcourse help you troubleshoot a couple of booting up problems....
I think you can delete the tmp files without any problems...! and about the %TEMP% you can always delete its contents

Ya, i would say it's perfectly safe to delete the temp files. I myself regulary delete around 1-2 times a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom