XP SP3 Still on Schedule for First Half 2008 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 04-14-2007, 06:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris
Default XP SP3 Still on Schedule for First Half 2008

I've got to admit that I wouldn't be surprised to see Microsoft table Service Pack (SP) 3 for Windows XP, as Windows expert Paul Thurrott claims the Redmondians have done.

"The company has completely abandoned Windows XP, and it has absolutely no plans to ever ship an XP SP3," Thurrott posted to his Web site on April 6. "My guess is that Microsoft will do what it did with the final Windows 2000 Service Pack: Claim years later that it's no longer needed and just ship a final security patch roll-up. This is the worst kiss-off to any Microsoft product I've ever seen, and you'd think the company would show a little more respect to its best-selling OS of all time."

Last fall, Microsoft admitted that XP SP3 had slipped and was now a 2008 deliverable. If Microsoft were to go a step further and dump XP SP3, such a move wouldn't be too shocking, especially given Redmond's ongoing reticence to commit to Vista SP1 because service packs are passe.

Click Read More to view the rest of this article.

News Source: ZDNet

Old 04-15-2007, 01:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default Re: XP SP3 Still on Schedule for First Half 2008

I think that SP3 will arrive eventually, but I'm curious as to what it would actually do. SP2 was a huge change, I doubt it will be anywhere near that level of complexity.

Old 04-15-2007, 04:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
Graphic Designer
Send a message via MSN to mssssee2 Send a message via Yahoo to mssssee2

I believe that microsoft will make available xp sp3 and vista sp1 at the same time, except if microsoft converts xp sp3 to gradual updates for windows xp.

Mike from Greece, 14
Old 04-15-2007, 10:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

I am on dialup....

In the age of broadband connections, companies do not need to deliver service packs...

I would prefer it for me and my connection, but it is no longer a valid or wise business decision. SPs may be good for marketing, but not in the functionality of a business.

So even a person like me knows what is what...

Also, without SPs, it would urge folks to buy legit so that they could get those online updates.
Closed Thread