XP SP3 Problems - stalling, impossible to install, strange HD issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
does sp3 have any performance benefits?
whats so good about sp3 that makes it a must install?

http://download.microsoft.com/downl...982/Overview of Windows XP Service Pack 3.pdf
Heck, even here
XP SP3 RC2 first look: Be prepared to be underwhelmed | Computerworld Blogs
people are saying (prior to it's release and pull) that it's main benefit is a patch/fix compilation. It's not like the release of SP2 in any form.

No, offense to anyone here but...
I used to jump ahead of the game and get OS patches and OS builds while still in beta or even alpha. Now, I just don't have the time for that kind of exploration. Again, no offense.. but to be blunt... I just wait until all of the kids try it out and potentially rough up their systems first before I'll personally try it. I'll also wait until it's released through my company... then I'll know that they've done whatever research that's necessary. Sure, I'll keep myself up to date on up and coming releases and whatnot, but far too often, I'll see kids these days just "Assume" that everything is hunky-dory if microsoft releases it on their AU site. But, they still neglect to read the "Recommend To-Do list BEFORE running this service pack." ... Chances are, if a company releases a WHITE PAPER and a whole SLU of information regarding the service pack prior to it's release... and heck.. even had to PULL it once... then why on earth would you install it without a BACKOUT plan?? LOL Wow...
Even if it's an automatic update, I'm pretty sure that SP3 wont just install itself.
They clearly tell you how to create an ASR in case of problems like this. I'm reading it on 3 different websites of thiers right now. It's probably in their GUI set in the actual setup process too.

I realize that new operating systems and service packs are REALLY exciting to people. I can appreciate that. BUT, if you were like me as a kid and you ripped open the package of the Transformer you got for Christmas prior to reading it's instructions.... then you have to be prepared for the possibility that YOU MIGHT BREAK IT while you are playing with it. Sure, who ever reads these instructions as a kid anyway??? I sure didn't. But, MY COMPUTERS and SERVERS RUNNING CORRECTLY is way too important to me these days to fool around with a service pack that I don't even need.

I am a Beta tester so i have to install the pre-release versions.

I sliped SP3 using Nlite and screwed up everything. Not sure what went wrong but have a feeling something with Nlite did it. I'm going to make a new install with Nlite, Autostreamer and the manual way up slipping and see where that takes me.

I am a Beta tester so i have to install the pre-release versions.

I carry the beta testing hat in my never-changing list of responsibilities as well. But, as a beta tester, you usually do your due diligence of creating a environmental "control" of some sort prior to "releasing the lion" into something that is used in production or at your home on a PC that you really don't want to be without for a very long period of time. Not to mention, reading articles and white papers. It just makes sense.

sp3 has been working for me... I just installed it because it came up in automatic update by itself.

No i didn't go to a website and download it.

It just came up in windows update while installing all the updates so i went ahead and installed it.

I sliped SP3 using Nlite and screwed up everything. Not sure what went wrong but have a feeling something with Nlite did it. I'm going to make a new install with Nlite, Autostreamer and the manual way up slipping and see where that takes me.
Unless they updated it in the last 2 days. nlite wasnt compatible with the final version of SP3 yet.
I carry the beta testing hat in my never-changing list of responsibilities as well. But, as a beta tester, you usually do your due diligence of creating a environmental "control" of some sort prior to "releasing the lion" into something that is used in production or at your home on a PC that you really don't want to be without for a very long period of time. Not to mention, reading articles and white papers. It just makes sense.

Sadly i do not do that. I use Beta products on my main machine. I know that it is not supposed to be that way. but i figure that if you have to know how it will work in a everyday use enviroment. Then use it in that enviroment. Rather than use a specific rig to install it on and not use it daily like you would normally.

I am not afraid of losing my OS install. I ahve my Data all seperate from my OS Drive. So if worse comes to worse i will turn off my other drives and just leave my OS drive on.

I am not afraid of losing my OS install. I ahve my Data all seperate from my OS Drive. So if worse comes to worse i will turn off my other drives and just leave my OS drive on.

If I had a machine to feel comfortable with a loss due to work reinstalling, I wouldn't mind it either. I just dont have the luxury of time nor patience to do that with my PC that I use for gaming and everyday stuff outside of work. At work though, we have a mock server for every single market that we have in production. The testing machines are EXACTLY like the ones out in the field, down to the versions of Adobe reader and java updates. To make an update to ANY machine out in the field requires approvals from a change committee and a list of approvers from specific departments that the change could potentially affect. Same with rebooting the machine. Now, it's a little different if it crashes. If that happens then we are allowed to bring them back up... but still the change request needs to be submitted and then go before a different department in order to generate their RCA paperwork (Root Cause Analysis) to figure out what happened so that we can make a business change in order to prevent any potential future occurrences. Like I said, If I had the time and the patience to do those things at home... I would. I feel that I've played that personal role for too long and it's been time for me to wait for the people that are willing to take that chance and then write in a forum about it first... LOL

Taking the time to figure out problems with installing a service pack just doesn't interest me anymore. And sadly, a lot of people these days just dont read up about packs and updates prior to making changes... or make a restore point.. something that requires LITTLE time... too little to pass up when compared to reinstalling your machine.

I totally understand the excitement with "Ripping the Transformer package open" and immediately playing and tinkering..... it's just that I really dont play with Transformers anymore... lol I'll have to remember that analogy for the future :)

But the thing to me is this. If you have "test" machines with the same setup as those in the field why are they not used in the field? That is where this stuff is going to be used right? So if it performs in this "test" enviroment how do you know it will perform out there?

To me first hand knowledge of using it daily and having it installed along side with my other apps is the true test. If it can survive with everything i do to this machine, then it is ready. I install, remove and edit the registry almost a dozen times a day along with downloading, converting, burning and many other things. To me that is real testing for these apps.

But i am know to be out in left field with my thoughts on how to Beta test. I dont use VM or anything at all. If my OS crashes. Reinstall it and put my apps back on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom