XP SP3 leaked to internet

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Windowsblinds jsut replaces teh UXTheme.dll upon startup and uses absolutely no resources."

I'd rather just use Download Universal UXTheme Patcher 2.1 - Universal UXTheme Patcher patches uxtheme.dll allowing you to use 3rd party visual styles in Windows XP+ - Softpedia ux thempatcher which is free and uses no resources.

"Please stop telling people it is a resouce hog when for a fact it isnt even on the Task Manager."

TONS of things aren't in task manager and use resources, try autoruns to see how much is truly in your startup.

Last year I tried out windowsblinds and it did indeed use a little extra ram & cpu, very little but why give that up when you can get the same thing for free with just as many themes options for free with perfect stability?

As far as SP3, I'll wait until its official. A pre-beta release sounds like a good cause of instability from MS, and realistically, this is an os patch, which isn't even close to being released, on illegal download sites......sounds like a great way to screw your pc up, lol.

Did you scan the file with a couple scanners before opening?

How has resource usage/responsiveness changed since the install?

just curious.

As far as SP3, I'll wait until its official. A pre-beta release sounds like a good cause of instability from MS, and realistically, this is an os patch, which isn't even close to being released, on illegal download sites......sounds like a great way to screw your pc up, lol.

well since its a scene release not some crap on KaZaA it shouldnt be infected unless they got it from some very unreliable source like some random tracker or something. Rxcept if you have norton and you will always get that dumb .bloodhound.exploit which is not a virus

Eh, I acquired Windows Blinds "that way" and it works fine, computer runs fast as ever... Best 0$ I ever spent.

"Windowsblinds jsut replaces teh UXTheme.dll upon startup and uses absolutely no resources."

I'd rather just use Download Universal UXTheme Patcher 2.1 - Universal UXTheme Patcher patches uxtheme.dll allowing you to use 3rd party visual styles in Windows XP+ - Softpedia ux thempatcher which is free and uses no resources.

"Please stop telling people it is a resouce hog when for a fact it isnt even on the Task Manager."

TONS of things aren't in task manager and use resources, try autoruns to see how much is truly in your startup.

Last year I tried out windowsblinds and it did indeed use a little extra ram & cpu, very little but why give that up when you can get the same thing for free with just as many themes options for free with perfect stability?

How has resource usage/responsiveness changed since the install?

just curious.
The reason i dont use a UXTheme replacer is cause then i can only have 1 theme. When i use WB i can replace my theme with a click of a button. Easy no muss. Plus there are plenty of things that CAN go wrong with replacing the UXTheme with a untested and not right patch. Then you are screwed. With Windowsblinds the app is fully tested and teh skins you download yourself. The skins are made for the app not the OS. Plus the themes are free. Once you buy the applciation. So what if i decide i want to spend $$ and actually have a full working app that does what i want without having to replace system files every day? Then i have to restart to get the theme working. I dont get the Aero effects or animated Start Menus. Nothing fun. Yeah great choice.:laughing:

Also even though you say it uses some CPU and RAM...I have not seen it. I have removed it and started and noticed nothing. I have used the sutoruns and many other apps to test my startup and nope. No difference here. I mean seriously if you are worried about less than 20KB of RAM. Then you need a new system.

Okay so you mean to tell me you never downloaded Vista before its release? Right...so what if it is a "official" patch to a OS that isnt released yet. These things leak as fast as they are sent out. I has happened since 2003 with the first leak of Codename Longhorn. Just cause all of CS3 wasnt finished didnt stop the rest of the apps from getting leaked to the sites. Yet those were official. Why not this one?

No i didnt scan it. At all. Didnt need to. I know a couple of the people that were involved in the inital leak. I trust them. I know they wouldnt do something like that to screw with me. Cause if they did they would lose everything that i get them. The whole circle of life thing.

Nope. I haev not noticed any difference yet.

For those of you that didnt buy windowsblinds. Congrats on the fact you got a workign copy that didnt screw your system. I am glad for you. But this is one app in my life i am glad i paid for. At least i dont have to worry if the app has a hidden timebomb or if the serial expires. Since i control it.

To each their own.:p :laughing:

"So what if i decide i want to spend $$ and actually have a full working app that does what i want without having to replace system files every day? Then i have to restart to get the theme working."

woah, wasn't criticizing mate, tons of people use windowsblinds, and for good reason, your right with uxthemepatcher there is an element of risk since you are replacing a windows file, but it does work good and I can change themes by clicking on the msstyles file and change the them without a reboot, I do remember seeing it in autoruns but it didn't hinder performance.

"No i didnt scan it. At all. Didnt need to."

not good online habit, I remember tons of people getting viruses when someone posted a fake file claiming it was a leaked Crysis beta on torrent sites.

Well since i know the guys over at WinBeta...i wasnt too worried about there being a virus. Just like the fact i am using Vista SP1 right now that i got from the same fellows. Didnt scan it or nothing. Yet here i am. All files safe and sound.

If you trust the people you get the files from then it is just fine not to scan it. But if the files came from ohh lets say here. **** yeah i would scan it. But since these guys i have known and talked to for over 2 years now. I trust them enough to know they wouldnt do that to me.

I had downloaded Vista Sp1 from torrent but did not install it cause its beta and it will cause problems. I've taken xp off, so 'm not gonna download sp3 anyway.

So you are not a Beta tester. Fine. But how do you know it will cause problems? You dont. Jsut cause it has the Beta tag...which in reality they dont. XP SP3 is a pre-beta leak and Vista SP1 is a alpha leak. But both of which run just fine. Vista with SP1 work better than that released version. That should have been the version they released.

Again please, please, please...try to understand that just cause something has a Beta tag doesnt not make it faulty. Nor will it cause problems. It might but htere is no guarentee that it will. Take the time to test the software first. Then remark about it. Dont chime in saying that "Just cause it is a beta i wont install it" So you are like 3/4 of the population. But the rest of us like to see the new stuff and take risks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom