XP SP3 Automatic Updates fail issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

KSoD

Call me Mak or K, Mod Emeritus
Alright this is a issue where if you install XP SP3 right after you install XP with SP2 the Automatic updates fail. There are some updates you need but every time you go to install them they fail for some unknown reason.

This is a known bug and there is a work around.

Open Start, Run, and run these commands, one by one:
  • regsvr32 /s wuapi.dll
  • regsvr32 /s wuaueng1.dll
  • regsvr32 /s wuaueng.dll
  • regsvr32 /s wucltui.dll
  • regsvr32 /s wups2.dll
  • regsvr32 /s wups.dll
  • regsvr32 /s wuweb.dll

If you know how to create a batch file you can also do that and save yourself a few seconds. But this is the solution that is offered.

What this does is re-register these files with Windows again and makes Windows update fully functional again. After you do this you will not have any issues with installing the missing updates.

Cheers,
Mak

MCE will never be right. Seems M$ abandonded it. :(

Mine updates after doing this though.

It might. I have not heard of this tool till now. But from the looks of it this should also fix it. This is just a fix without having to use any 3rd party tools.

All it is, is a really long batch file, does what you said, and just about everything else to fix automatic updates, your supposed to run it in safemode so that it does everything, or a few things wont work right.

I am sure that it could work just like this then. I did not know of that at all when i had posted this. But i will find a decent link for it and add it.

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I like to use these forums for educational and learning experiences, but what was the problem with sp3 which causes this problem?

XP SP3 unregisters those Registry files that are in the first post. Without those Registry files your system will not update. By doing what this says you re-register those files and allow for your system to be updated again.

Cheers,
Mak

I'm mad. I updated the kids media center (my old computer) to sp3 with no issue if I use the large file (335 mb). but I still can't update mine. it say error copying the atapi.sys file in the system32/drivers folder. I've reinstall windows, copied those files from their computer without any luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom