Xp Sp2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just learn something new. we welcome newcomers with new ideas

but then you just now dissed my idea. when in reality my solution was better than yours. MrCoffee has been around here long enough so I hope that he has his data back up.

contradicts:

now both of our answer are right. mine isn't better than yours. but I did that to show you how you just treated me (I do have valid arguments in my point though). I take offense to you trying to come on here as a know it all and diss my answer when it was right too.

I didn't come on here to treat people like I was any better than they were, but I have seen it previously on many other forums that when people are trying to solve a problem, someone simply says "Just format it" instead of trying to help the person through the problem.

I wasn't trying to "diss" the solution, just the way you proposed it. I also agreed with you that it is a good solution to reformat, but sometimes people just want to figure out why things don't work, and if there is a solution to that specific problem.

Again, I'm not here to start an internet flame thread, I just wanted to make sure anyone searching for a solution to this problem doesn't feel that their only option is format/reinstall.

Since MrCoffee hasn't responded, it is my guess that he has already gotten past this issue and dealt with it accordingly, so I don't see any real reason to drag this on any further. The only point I was trying to make was that people should have the option to fix or solve somthing without reinstalling, because reinstalling is always an option, but I feel it should be the last measure of resolution.

ChrisLLorca said:
so I don't see any real reason to drag this on any further.

then why post this? you obviously have a reading problem. now read the bold letters again and you will see that it doesn't contradict itself.

quote: I just learn something new. we welcome newcomers with new ideas

but then you just now dissed my idea. when in reality my solution was better than yours. MrCoffee has been around here long enough so I hope that he has his data back up.

contradicts:

now both of our answer are right. mine isn't better than yours. but I did that to show you how you just treated me (I do have valid arguments in my point though). I take offense to you trying to come on here as a know it all and diss my answer when it was right too.

I was trying to be nice, but since you insist on a flame war.

my solution was better than your for reasons already posted

I am never one to promote blatantly wiping and reinstalling, but Eric was on the money with this one. Coffee backed it up by explaining the shape his install was in.

No offense, Chris. This forum's age bracket runs on the shallow end, so we have a lot of know-it-all teenagers (yes, I'm talking about y'all) who like to jump in and act less than their age. In a way, we've developed a "shoot first, ask later" way of handling it.

Trotter said:
This forum's age bracket runs on the shallow end, so we have a lot of know-it-all teenagers (yes, I'm talking about y'all) who like to jump in and act less than their age. In a way, we've developed a "shoot first, ask later" way of handling it.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! :eek: I am a know-it-very little teenager.

Oh, and I see how both Eric's solution, and Chris' solution would both work. It's always good to have a clean install though.;)

i would like to go back to the topic add a couple of issues that i had with SP2 installation. (only because the subject line was the one which made me read this thread. it's only fair to talk about it here...)

after installing SP2 on XP pro, i noticed that all my machines had a permission changed on C:\WINDOWS\Registration. 'everyone' had only 'read' permit. unless 'everyone' has 'read and excute' permit, msiexec.exe doesn't run. so if you are logged on as a domain admin and try to install anything at all, it'll give you an error.

if you have symantec antivirus:
another permission issue that i had (may be just SAV related, not SP2) is \C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\pki. the same thing. i needed to add 'read and excute' for 'everyone'. otherwise, when user is logged on and right click at any given time, windows will search this SAV pki folder but have no permission to view it so it keep scanning until it times out. this is not much of a problem but it's annoyed enough of my users.

did anyone else had a problem like this?

Do you know how to format & re-install?

If so, you should format. If you don't, go ahead and try to fix it. It's your choice.

But remember, once you have tried fixing the problem for a couple of hours, you know that you have made the wrong decision! (with issues that don't get solved within 10-20 minutes, it mostly turns out this way)

There are a million ways to backup data. The best one is to create a couple of partitions.

And if you don't like the idea of re-installing programs you could make an image using Drive Image/V2i Protector/Ghost so the re-install process will be faster the next time it screws up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom